Earthlink finally gives us a good news reader system

Earthlink has finally updated its news server. With the new system we get really fast downloads and log ons. I don't know if the effect will be as great for dial-up users, but for those of us on high speed connects the difference is huge! If you are using earthlink, you need to change your new connection to news.west.earthlink.net or news.east.earthlink.net depending on your location east or west of the Mississippi. You will be asked for your full user name and your earthlink password. This is the way NGs should have been all along.

Reply to
Reece Talley

Yes, the improvement is huge, even for dialup users :)

Reply to
Mikey

I'm east of the Mississippi, I loged on to the east coast server last night, what an improvement ! This morning NOTHING !

The told me that if I was having problems logging to the east coast server to use the west... and that what I am using now.

Reece Talley wrote:

Reply to
John Karpich

Yes its fast but it took 24 hours for them to clear up my connection. Plus they are setting a limit of 1/5 GB per rolling 30 day period for the 'fast' service. After that you only get 64K. I liked it the old way. They should have just made it faster.

TK

Reply to
TomK

Does Earthlink do their own news servers in house, or do they contract out like Bellsouth? Bellsouth has one of the worst newsgroup providers ever in WUN (WebUseNet). At least my Bellsouth DSL connection is solid.

Reply to
Tim

Ultra fast for dial up. I have 56K max but the connection is always

48K. The new west-coast feed is insanely fast. It almost seems as fast as the connection at work (which is dead today for all of Boeing nationwide - someone must have kicked out the plug or forgot to pay the bill).

I can still use Google from work to post, but I don't get to see new messages for up to 8 hours.....

By the way, Lucerne was almost windless yesterday. And the slight rain they had the day before kept the dust down when you drove or walked. I took advantage of the 'no-wind' and flew a few low powered boost-gliders (regular sized Manta and a few versions of my Hornet with pop pod and as a parasite on a Starhawk). No need to walk far to recover them since they had nice large circling glides.

-Fred Shecter NAR 20117

Reply to
Fred Shecter

The last glider I flew there was a Pterodactyl (pop pod version) on a G30-4.

Jerry

Reply to
Jerry Irvine