FWIW: Refinement to Fehskens-Malewicki - New Equivalent MAss

I must be one of the few people who still uses the Fehskens-Malewicki equations. I have used them as refinements, in each interval, to digital calculations, and as A simple way to do drag coefficient and altitude backtracking in a spreadsheet. I discover that many individuals believe these equations to be much less accurate than they actually are for standard model rockets. Here are the recognized sources of inaccuracy, and the reasons why they don't matter for small rockets:

1) They do not depreciate air density with altitude. For rockets with altitudes less than about 1200 feet, the difference is trivial. Most home-brew (**Not**, for example, WRASP) digital routines out there have more inaccuracy from digital error than is in this exact integral, which doesn't depreciate air density.

2) They use flat thrust curves. In fact, if boost times and altitudes are small, the difference in total altitude and velocity are trivial. Indeed, for very short burning times, the differences are absent. (G. Harry Stine made a big deal of thrust curve shape in his _Handbook_. His calculations, there, are wrong.) In practice, model rocket thrust curves that deviate most from flat lines are also the shortest in duration. Problem? What problem?

3) The boost phase equations use an average mass, equal to the dead mass plus half the propellant mass. This approximation, while technically incorrect, makes virtually no difference when propellant fractions are small, as they are in model rockets. In fact, the differences are trivial for mass ratios (LaunchMass/BurnoutMass) up to about 2. No standard model rocket has a mass ratio anywhere near that.

On the plus side, the coast phase integral is exact, given the constant air density assumption. Elementary digital programs frequently make the same assumption and their computations are not exact.

I was happy with all of the above until I started playing with water rockets. (Go ahead and laugh, Jerry :-). That's when I ran afoul of item 3). Aside from this item, water rockets are splendid candidates for the F/M equations. They have very short thrust times and cutoff altitudes, and they don't go very high. They do, however, have extremely high propellant mass fractions.

Consider this hypothetical water rocket.

Bottle Size One-Liter Fluid Fraction 36.8% Gage Pressure 160 PSI Launch Mass 519 grams (Nose weighted) Diameter 8.25 CM Cd .65

Theory yields Impulse 15.86411 newton-seconds Water Mass 367.917 grams Operation Time .024468 seconds

Trajectory Computations (Assumptions: Flat thrust curve and constant air density)

Digital Old Fehskens- Malewicki YTotal 190.50 ft 169.61 ft YCutoff 2.56 ft 1.88 ft VCutoff 172.47 ft/sec 154.19 ft/sec

Yuch! I decided to get a more refined estimate of average mass From the rocket equation, which describes cutoff velocity In the absence of air or gravity.

CutoffVelocity = Ve*Ln(MassRatio)

Where Ln is the natural logarithm function. Equivalent mass come from

AverageAcceleration *BurningTime = Ve*Ln(MassRatio)

(Thrust / EquivalentMass)*BurningTime = Ve*Ln(MasRatio)

(Thrust / EquivalentMass)*BurningTime = Thrust/(dm/dt)*Ln(MasRatio)

We are using a constant thrust assumption, so a constant mass flow rate Is perfectly reasonable. Thus

dm/dt = PropellantMass/BurnTime

Substituting and rearranging:

*** EquivalentMass = PropellanMass/Ln(MassRatio) ***

This seems like an unlikely quantity, but it works amazingly well. For Low mass ratios, the equivalent is almost exactly the same as the old average mass, as one would expect. When mass ratios get spacey (say, around 20) the equivalent mass levels off just above .4 times the average mass. Here are the results for the same water rocket using equivalent mass in the Fehskens/Malewicki equations.

Digital New FM Old FM YTot 190.50 ft 191.34 169.61 YCutoff 2.56 ft 2.12 1.88 VCutoff 172.47 ft/sec 173.26 154.19

Much better. Given that my digital routine was written on the spur of the moment, I'm not sure which is more accurate. For regular model rockets, the improvement is absolutely immaterial. For High mass ratios, the new equivalent mass is much more accurate.

Regards,

-Larry (Apologies, Len!) Curcio.

Reply to
Larry Curcio

C-slot motors (especially 38mm+) and stepped long duration endburners (E6/F10/G00) are probably the best examples of exceptions. Howevever the greatest error is in final velocity and delay not altitude.

Tee hee hee!

Put it on a load cell!

Tee hee hee!

Where's my apologies? :)

Nice work Larry.

Publish or perish.

Jerry

The guy who's company did static tests of custom 1/8A's for "Robot Jox) on a load cell and analog chart recorder. Water rockets can't be more difficult to measure.

Reply to
Jerry Irvine

BTW, this hypothetical rocket requires a hypothetical FAA waiver to fly!

Bob Kaplow

Gosh! I wouldn't want to jeopardize national security by flying a pop bottle rocket... And to think I have three stored in my refrigerator!

-Larry (Hah! They'll never take me alive!!!!!)C.

Reply to
Larry Curcio

Only if launched into "Controlled Airspace"...

-dave w

Reply to
David Weinshenker

Just wait until the JBGTs make you get a PBUP...

Bob Kaplow

Thanks, Jerry!

-Larry C.

Reply to
Larry Curcio

don't you mean FAA notification for over 1 lb?

Reply to
Stan

Please pardon the tech post.

Reply to
Jerry Irvine

Why? Are you ashamed?

Reply to
Dave Grayvis

"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something."

- Plato

Reply to
Jerry Irvine

Again. (Ahem!) Thanks, Jerry.

-Larry C.

Reply to
Larry Curcio

You are most welcome Larry. I am TRYING to increase the tech content om rmr. I am regularly punished for it. No good deed goes unpunished.

Jerry

Reply to
Jerry Irvine

Nope. Water rockets are exempt only if powered by less than 250g (~8.4oz) of water. 101.22 does not apply.

Bob Kaplow

Bob,

I've been off the scene for some years now, so forgive me if I'm not up to date. This is a mid D motor. Doesn't that exempt it?

Reply to
Larry Curcio

But it is easy to change air density stepwise over time intervals, based on a standard atmosphere.

Yes, but it is easy to model variable thrust and mass by modeling the thrust-time curve a sequence of constant thrust intervals. I typically use four intervals per motor for greater accuracy.

The best m will lie between m0 and m1 in an interval. You probably want to use one of several easy to compute mean values, or try could try to pick a optimal value say based on the classic rocket equation. Because thrust is typically high, a good mean to use is the geometric mean: m = 2/(1/m0 + 1/m1). The easiest and most used is the algebraic mean: m = (m0 + m1)/2. I use the algebraic mean, but not because it is the most accurate. The real power of the F-M equations are that they are analytic equations. You can differentiate them WRT parameters and propagate them through the computations. This enables you to do things like solve for optimal mass very quickly and accurately using a true Newton's method algorithm. In this sense, using the geometric mean is more trouble than it is worth, and the difference is made smaller by modeling the thrust-time curve a sequence of constant mass, constant thrust intervals.

Water rockets are OK. I typically see water rockets with much longer thrust times than your example. My complaint is that they are not constant thrust. Typically the air pressure, and hence thrust, drops by a factor of two over the thrust interval. There are also come clever things that can be done with water rockets to deliver more optimum thrust. I don't have any good math models for water rockets.

One thing about water rockets is that many of them may be under optimal mass.

Nicely done, I think. Tom Keuchler(sp?) also developed some analytic solutions for variable air density and thrust, although he had to resort the use of Bessel functions.

Alan

Reply to
Alan Jones

He's not to ashamed to tell people to wear gloves when operating a drill press with a fly cutter. So why would he be? Some people have no shame.

Reply to
Phil Stein

Then why don't you stop trolling with your anto TRA crap?

Reply to
Phil Stein

Once again, FAA regs don't depend on power or altitude or anything that actually makes sense. They depend on propellant weight. For our models, anything under 113g is exempt, 114-125 requires notification, and 126 or more requires a waiver. For water rockets, anything up to 250g is exempt, any more requires a waiver.

It's the government, it doesn't have to make sense!

Bob Kaplow

I like to use inflection points and let the computer do the work of interpolating between points (Jerry's endpoint method - JEND).

Then lose propellant mass scaled to motor thrust.

Simple and effective, I have posted the code before.

Here are some popular sample thrust curve data sets:

ES D12= .01-.1124,.03-.365,.2-4.92,.22-5.10,.24-5,.28-3.68,.38-2.87, .45-2.47,.56-2.14,1.51-2.14,1.53-1.63,1.55-0 21.1G 44G

USR E6= .01-4.5, .10-4.69, .40-3.75, .5-1.38, 1-1.06, 2-0.94, 7.6-0.94, 8.2-0 21.5G 39.7G 8.2S now apogee

USR F10= .01-6.75, .4-5.5, .8-2.5, 1.2-2, 3.1-1.88, 6.6-2.25, 7.1-1.5, 7.7-0 40.7G 69.4G 7.7S now apogee

USR G25= .01-6.25, .3-9.06, .4-7.81, 1.2-8.28, 2-8.28, 2.4-7.66, 4- 1.56, 5-0 62.5G 105G 5.0S

On the same theory, here is a helpful dataset.

Altitude Pressure Ave.Temp. Less Air Greater Thrust (ft) (in. Hg) (F.) Density

0 29.92 59.0 0. 0% 0.0% 5,000 24.89 41.2 16.8% 2.7% 10,000 20.57 23.3 31.3% 3.9% 15,000 16.88 5.5 43.6% 5.8% 20,000 13.74 -12.3 54.1% 7.0% 25,000 11.10 -30.15 62.9% 8.2% 30,000 8.89 -47.98 70.3% 9.3%

Revel in the tech post!

Jerry

Reply to
Jerry Irvine