Spaceship One - construction questions

Does anyone know which of the balsa pieces, if any, need to be rounded? Estes is unclear on this point.

Also,anyone else have trouble with the plastic cement melting the tailcone and leaving little depressions?

Thanks

Reply to
Eradicate Sampson

I would dare to say all the leading and trailing edges.

Reply to
Mike

I haven't built that one yet but if it's the same vaccu-formed garbage they used for the last Saturn V issue, regular plastic cement will turn it to goo quickly. I'd use Super glue and then a drop of Super glue activator.

Randy

Reply to
<randyolb

I used 5 minute epoxy to good effect, it sets faster and is stronger. And the leading edges are always a good place to round things. In general I read the instructions just to see what THEY think we should do, then _I_ do what works and build as if I was going high power with it.

BTW, my 1.5X, 29mm upscale is coming along nicely (enlargements at Kinkos are your friend!)...heck, I haven't even got the decals put on the Estes kit yet. 54mm hybrid, here I come!

Chuck

Eradicate Samps>Does anyone know which of the balsa pieces, if any, need to be rounded? Estes

is unclear on this point.

leaving little depressions?

Reply to
Zathras of the Great Machine

5 minute epoxy stronger than what? Old chewing gum, or peanut butter? IMHO it's worthless for use in our hobby. If you need speed, use CA. If you need strength, use slow cure epoxy. If you are only gluing wood and paper, use yellow glue.

Bob Kaplow

This should be in the FAQ. It sure could save more humungous glue threads!

Reply to
Jerry Irvine

In the end it comes down to one thing "It works for me". When I came back to the hobby I built my first HPR using 5 minute epoxy, "not knowing any better". It's still flying. I was told that kit couldn't handle an I211, even if built right, it'd tear the fins off.. It's still flying. The only problem I've ever had was the busted fin after a recovery failure on a G80. The fin snapped at the airframe, not internally where there wasn't even a fillet of 5-minute. It was re-glued (15 minute this time). It's still flying. Others might get differing results and your mileage may vary, but the person asked for opinions and I gave mine. When I ask a question I weigh all the answers without judgement and pick what seems to work...for me and that situation. I expect 12 answers from 10 people. So far I've had decent success doing things that way. I like 5-minute epoxy over wood glue. I might used CA more if I didn't keep losing those teeny tubes. "It works for me."

Chuck

Jerry Irvine wrote:

it's worthless for use in our hobby. If you need speed, use CA. If you need strength, use slow cure epoxy. If you are only gluing wood and paper, use yellow glue.

Reply to
Zathras of the Great Machine

I use 5min epoxy to attach Kevlar thread along the Motor Tube for recovery lines in all my Estes type rockets. I just don't like that folded piece of paper idea...............does work though....

Reply to
CJC