Looking for old plans: Flamin-Go B/G and Baron-Killer pod

I'm looking for a couple of old glider plans.

One is the first pop-pod B/G, Larry Renger's Flamin-Go (Flamin'Go?), from the late 1960's. IIRC it won Estes Plan of the Month.

The other is not a glider plan exactly, but a pop-pod plan. The "Baron-Killer" pop-pod by Greg (Fat Albert) Stewart and Steve Kranish (they officially called it the "Fat-Kranish Baron-Killer Rear-Pop Pod"). An R&D report I read referred to it as being printed in the December 1974 issue of the Model Rocketeer. I have a lot of those old issues but I didn't find that one. It might also have been printed in one or more newsletters such as SCAM's.

I know what that pod is like, so I don't need a description. I'm working up an R&D report on pop-pod improvements thru the years, and that's one of the most unique designs thru the years to address the Red Baron problem, so I want to include plans for it in my report.

I'd like to get hold of good quality scans of both of those, the Flamin-Go and Baron-Killer pod. Or photocopies mailed to me.

- George Gassaway

Reply to
gcgassaway

george;

Kooch placed a photo of the greg stewart baron killer pod in the photos section of Contestroc;

As far as the Renger FlaminGo glider pop pod , I have a couple original pics taken by Larry Renger that I can provide for you. The first is his original pop pod design that didn't work very well due to parachute tangling , but that led him to his second and successful pop pod design, which came in 2nd place in the Estes R&D contest of 1965. I have this issue of MRN with the drawing/diagram of the pop pod that Larry Renger provided to estes if you would also like to have that.

I also have some circa 65-66 B&W photos of the original G.Harry Stine pop pod design that is sorta a reverse piece X type of pop pod.

I have a 1967 diagram from the 67 handbook of modle rocketry that shows a tongue and groove pop pod design.

In addition I can provide you with a .jpg the patent application for the BG , you will see the pin-pod pop pod that was a design jointly designed and developed by Vern Estes and Gene Street for the Estes Astron Nighthawk.

FInally in a parallel development, Mike Poss and Doug Malewicki also developed this same pin pod concept for Doug Malewicki's RC BG cirac 67.

If you would like this stuff, shoot me an email and I'll email it to.

terry dean nar 16158

Reply to
shockwaveriderz

Do you have a contact for Larry? I see him at least once a year at the AMA convention in Ontario CA and I have at least one old business card for him with contact info that might still work.

-Fred Shecter NAR 20117

Reply to
Fred Shecter