OT: RIP Steve Irwin

I just heard on the news that "Crocodile Hunter" Steve Irwin has died! He was filming a documentary on the Great Barrier Reef, and was stung by a stingray. The barb pierced his heart.

That sucks. I always enjoyed his show and his manically cheerful personality.

Reply to
raydunakin

dont they put some kind of armor like those chain mail used to protect against sharks when doing something like this? unless he accidently fell onto a stingray.... I read somewhere you can kill a tree by taking the barb from a string ray and stick it in the tree...

Reply to
tai fu

It was a fluke happening. Apparently he swam over the top of the ray and it freaked and drove its spike into him. I've snorkelled a bit an seen heaps of rays and have stood on two or three. They generally either ignore you or just swim off. It sounds like it was just really bad luck. It's sent a bit of a shock wave across Oz.

Reply to
Borat

I stood on a small one a few weeks ago. Luckily, I wasn't stung at all, but it sure made the ol' ticker beat a bit faster for a while!

Reply to
matt vk3zmw

Crikey! That's gotta hurt....

Reply to
Malcontent

Sting ray venom isn't very dangerous, just hurts a bit. Steve was unlucky enough to get the barb through his heart. Thats what killed him.

Reply to
John Bowles

I'm sorry, but "fluke" happening?

Oh man, that's classic!!

No direspect to Mr. Irwin, but crikey!

Reply to
Gus

Despite the tragic loss...it *is* a bit humorous...in the Ewell Gibbons vain. For those too young (or too out of touch with history) he was the "everything natural" guru...who died unexpectedly "of natural causes"...lol.

Reply to
Greg Heilers

Same here, my best wishes and prayers are for his wife and kid(s) (can't remember how many he had) and I hope they are fine and will be ok but yes, I do agree, there is a small humor factor. You knew it was coming, although I was expecting by a huge croc.

I'm located in the States and from all the news reports we've seen apparently the sting is a very rare occourance and unfortunately Steve was the victim of it. They also said that his death was pretty much instatainious.

Steve USA ============================================

Greg Heilers wrote:

Reply to
Kosingigglephits

This is most certainly not a fluke happening.

A fluke could never inflict this kind of wound.

My sad attempt at humor >

Reply to
Mike Kruger

"Shot through the heart, and you're to blame. Yeah, you give rays a bad name."

Reply to
Darrell D. Mobley

teehee

You know, Triumph, the insult comic dog, has another *take* on that song :)

Ted Novak TRA#5512 IEAS#75

Reply to
tdstr

Really? What's that take?

Reply to
Darrell D. Mobley

Make certain you not drinking anything when viewing this :)

Ted Novak TRA#5512 IEAS#75

Reply to
tdstr

Holy crap! I mean poop. ;-) Now that was good...

(Just don't let Woody see that!)

Reply to
Darrell D. Mobley

All things considered, I think he was overdue. He was great while he lasted... not laughing.

Reply to
Alan Jones

Once saw this on a t-shirt; 'Steve, leave the cobra alone...'

Ted Novak TRA#5512 IEAS#75

Reply to
the notorious t-e-d