[SAFETY] Offset distance - Saturn V

Yep. As with the Shuttle launches, the noise is actually what makes the safe distance 3 miles, not anything having to do with the rocket exhaust.

The sound waves could easily pulverize a human's skeleton if he was unlucky enough to be within a mile of the launch pad. Even at further distances, the sound waves felt like someone was thumping on your chest with their fists.

Jerry

Reply to
Jerry Irvine

ummmm, isn't the pilot a bit closer than that?

Reply to
tater schuld

Yes and notably he is riding the tip of the wave. It is the differential velocity of the wave between the observer and the ai mass that causes "damage" and only distance or hardening the "target" can solve that.

Just Tech Jerry

Almost only counts in hand grenades, nukes, and shuttle launches.

Reply to
Jerry Irvine

That and the wave is moving primarily out and along the ground away from the ship.

Randy.

Reply to
Randy

... and skunks.

Bob Kaplow

Yeah, don't for get about skunks! We had one show up at a launch once. Couldn't launch for over an hour because he decided to inspect the pad with a prepped Cherokee on the pad. Dang thing just laid down and took a nap right next to the pad, after sniffing it for what seemed like an eternity.

Randy

Reply to
Randy

Shoulda launched!

Reply to
Jerry Irvine

It's actually pretty easy to shoo them off, as long as you do it slowly and don't make any sudden moves that might startle them. I've had to chase 'em out of my garage a couple times.

Reply to
RayDunakin