COMCAST and ABMR newsgroup

Ever since my AT&T cable service was taken over by ComCast, I lost the alt.binaries.models.rockets newgroup... Comcast has one that "looks" like it, but is not... (they are missing the "s" on "models". Besides Google, what other options are there to see this group again?

I know of a few solutions, but they involve clunky web-based browsing...

Thanks in advance...

~Duane Phillips.

Reply to
Duane Phillips

Here in Oregon they stayed the same. Well the "S" is still there. The only problem I have seen since the change is that I, at times can't get the pictures. It's almost like I have run out of time and have been disconnected. AT&T was ok, but Comcast has many problems. Even the workers think so.

John Hornsby

Reply to
a.hornsbyiii

Hmmm....

Out here (Pennsylvania) comcast doesn't have news servers - they give us a free account at giganews, which is excellent - and includes the "real" binaries group. Is it the same with you? if so, try a different giganews server. I'm on news-central.giganews.com. If not, you may have to buy access to a commercial news server; which is not a bad idea anyway, if you can afford it.

-- Scott Schuckert

Reply to
Scott Schuckert

Sometimes an email request to the newsmaster will result in them adding a group for you. Give it a try before paying for a giganews or supernews account.

tim

Reply to
Tim

Here in Philly, Comcast gives a connection to Giganews at no extra chaarge. Only thing I don't like is that they limit you to 1GB per month. If it's exceeded, they cut you off until the following month or, you can pay for more bandwidth.

Phil Ste>Ever since my AT&T cable service was taken over by ComCast, I lost the

Phil Stein

Reply to
Phil Stein

I have comcast and i have the real abmr group via Gigianews which is the news service that Comcast uses..... shockie B)

Reply to
shockwaveriderz

I have comcast here in Michigan and I use Giganews (which they provide) for binaries and news.cis.dfn.de (free)for everything else. The former has a bandwidth limit while the latter doesn't. News.cis.dfn.de doesn't carry binaries, though.

Mark Simps> Ever since my AT&T cable service was taken over by ComCast, I lost the

Reply to
Mark Simpson

I have it directly through Comcast. Maybe it's just your local system.

Randy

Reply to
Randy

Bill Spadafora

or
or NARTS
snipped-for-privacy@comcast.net snipped-for-privacy@billsplumbing.com

Reply to
Bill Spadafora

At least Comcast provides access to newsgroups. I have a Direcway satellite connection and those jerks just stopped providing access to newsgroups one day. No prior notice at all, they just cut us off. I thought I was having problems on my end because one day I just couldn't access newsgroups. I had to call their crappy customer service line to find out that, "We stopped providing access to newsgroups because few of our customers used the service, and the ones that do use it used an unfair amount of bandwidth."

Just another reason to stay away from Direcway and Hughes Network Systems.

Regards, Michael Newton

Reply to
Michael Newton

a.b.m.r. is the news group.

ABMR is the Yahoogroup.

-Fred Shecter NAR 20117

-- ""Remove "zorch" from address (2 places) to reply.

Reply to
Fred Shecter