COMCAST and ABMR newsgroup

Ever since my AT&T cable service was taken over by ComCast, I lost the
alt.binaries.models.rockets
newgroup... Comcast has one that "looks" like it, but is not... (they are
missing the "s" on "models". Besides Google, what other options are there
to see this group again?
I know of a few solutions, but they involve clunky web-based browsing...
Thanks in advance...
~Duane Phillips.
Reply to
Duane Phillips
Here in Oregon they stayed the same. Well the "S" is still there. The only problem I have seen since the change is that I, at times can't get the pictures. It's almost like I have run out of time and have been disconnected. AT&T was ok, but Comcast has many problems. Even the workers think so.
John Hornsby
Reply to
a.hornsbyiii
Hmmm....
Out here (Pennsylvania) comcast doesn't have news servers - they give us a free account at giganews, which is excellent - and includes the "real" binaries group. Is it the same with you? if so, try a different giganews server. I'm on news-central.giganews.com. If not, you may have to buy access to a commercial news server; which is not a bad idea anyway, if you can afford it.
-- Scott Schuckert
Reply to
Scott Schuckert
Sometimes an email request to the newsmaster will result in them adding a group for you. Give it a try before paying for a giganews or supernews account.
tim
Reply to
Tim
Here in Philly, Comcast gives a connection to Giganews at no extra chaarge. Only thing I don't like is that they limit you to 1GB per month. If it's exceeded, they cut you off until the following month or, you can pay for more bandwidth.
Phil Stein
Phil Stein
Reply to
Phil Stein
I have comcast and i have the real abmr group via Gigianews which is the news service that Comcast uses..... shockie B)
Reply to
shockwaveriderz
I have comcast here in Michigan and I use Giganews (which they provide) for binaries and news.cis.dfn.de (free)for everything else. The former has a bandwidth limit while the latter doesn't. News.cis.dfn.de doesn't carry binaries, though.
Duane Phillips wrote:
Reply to
Mark Simpson
I have it directly through Comcast. Maybe it's just your local system.
Randy
Reply to
Randy
I also have it directly from Comcast but one of their techs told me that some time in the future they'll switch everyone to Giganews.
Bill Spadafora
or
or NARTS
snipped-for-privacy@comcast.net snipped-for-privacy@billsplumbing.com
Reply to
Bill Spadafora
At least Comcast provides access to newsgroups. I have a Direcway satellite connection and those jerks just stopped providing access to newsgroups one day. No prior notice at all, they just cut us off. I thought I was having problems on my end because one day I just couldn't access newsgroups. I had to call their crappy customer service line to find out that, "We stopped providing access to newsgroups because few of our customers used the service, and the ones that do use it used an unfair amount of bandwidth."
Just another reason to stay away from Direcway and Hughes Network Systems.
Regards, Michael Newton
Reply to
Michael Newton
a.b.m.r. is the news group.
ABMR is the Yahoogroup.
-Fred Shecter NAR 20117
-- ""Remove "zorch" from address (2 places) to reply.
Reply to
Fred Shecter