SpaceClaim and other marketing bloatware

Dear Group,

I've read the "interview" with SpaceClaim marketing by Mr. Folini. I can't imagine a better way to discredit a product than speaking to a marketing guy. I would have wanted to hear a tech guy to say actually what is so great about this program.

I would like to see why Mr. Folini "conducts" his interviews. I just can't imagine that he is doing this great service for mankind, so we know about stuff (his). So, Mr Folini, what is the business model you are using? Is it the exposure of your website? Or marketing software, like SC? Please let us know, I think I am not the only one who wants to know this.

Obviously the cornerstone of SC "strategy" is to make you believe that selling something which is apparently not going to be yours is a good idea. It should be this simple: I OWE the freaking thing if I've paid for it or just give me the illusion that I do. The users are not stupid. Mr. marketing tells us that the users have the power, because we just wouldn't upgrade . And of course we are illegal from that moment on, which he forgot to emphasize. The users doesn't like this, is that clear? It is already bad enough that you cannot sell your software license (apart from special conditions). The time expiry idea is a step further. The software industry fought this out for themselves. I think next time I buy a car I actually not going to be the owner of it, just license the usage. (Imagining for a second that I am a CEO of a big car company, it seems like a GREAT idea. Of course as a CEO I would be a bit out of touch with reality, but who cares, I'll get my bonus with options anyway.)

This kind of prepaid marketing has a very simple name: blackmail. I've already paid a large sum therefore I am going to upgrade. Instead the user who had a look will not even sign up.

As for technicalities. Parametric modelers are great most of the time. At least they force out a tiny bit of thinking from the users part. Yes, they are also a burden when it comes to editing. The little bit of intelligence built into the models is actually very useful most of the time. I think both the interviewer and interviewee are out of touch with reality.

I would be careful letting everybody fiddle with the design downstream from the design office. Easy editing, etc. It is about as limited as the kernel which this whole thing is built upon. For me the simple fact that it is built on ACIS is an outright turnoff. Especially knowing how much it has been developed since $$$desk bought it. Or it was perfect, no need for further development... Or just the press is a bit, well....quiet about it.

And promoting easy editing... This reminds me of "direct modeling" features of SolidWorks. They have their place, sometimes they are outright great. However, they are not for universal use. One still need to build the model somehow before actually modifying it. So far feature based modeling is the proven tool for this.

So I don't see the SpaceClaim revolution. Did I miss something? Please let me know.

Regards Attila

Reply to
bertok

I just want to chip in with my support for Franco. I don't want to start a fight with those who took issue with him, I'm just saying my peace. Franco did an interview with me which he posted on his blog, and I think the questions were well thought out and full of content. He said several times that he prefers technical responses to his questions rather than fluff. To me, that makes Franco a good guy.

Not everybody can be the guy who uses software to make cool stuff. Somebody has to sell the software. Novedge seems like a cool company because they run the blog and try to give some free information back to users. The Novedge site is definitely commercial, but his blog is both free and valuable. Franco is not a high-pressure sales guy, and he offers a lot of cool software. I've recommended him to people looking for that type of stuff.

The Spaceclaim "marketing" guy used to be a PTC application engineer. So he has a technical background, and think this makes him pretty well qualified to talk about the software. I'm soaking up as much info as I can on the product because I believe that there is going to come a day when I wish I had something like this. In terms of the licensing, I don't think it matters one bit, aside from the part where the software stops working when you stop paying.

I never thought I'd see the day when I was defending sales and marketing guys against designers, but these aren't the bad guys.

Reply to
matt

Seems familiar, questions asked of you Cliff numerous times and never answered;

Cliff, when was the last time you programmed a CNC Lathe? Cliff, have you ever programmed a CNC Lathe? Cliff, have you ever seen a CNC Lathe? Cliff, of the 5 mistakes you made in your G-Code which one is the "ONE" your admitting to? Cliff, what machine will run your error riddled code? Cliff, what machine uses G02 for a counter clockwise move? Cliff, when are you going to fix your error riddled code? Cliff, what is your source? Cliff, Where is this profile you say you can program on a cnc lathe that Dan and I can't? Cliff, why do "YOU" think its a good idea not to use G13 in this case?

Famous saying:

"Was such a horrible CAD/CAM package Cliff could very well have been instrumental in developing it, that's how shockingly dreadful it was."

******************** Famous Cliffism;

I have never answered a direct question on Usenet and do not believe there is a good reason to start doing so now.

Famous Cliffism;

"I have never programmed, setup or operated a CNC Lathe, it is beneath me and it's too lathe to start learning now. I am however an expert, just ask me."

Tom

Reply to
brewertr