Dragon kits - Sd.Kfz.10 Ausf.A Pak 38 1:35 'smart kit' - don't judge a kit by the boxart ?

I bought this kit recently as 1 of 4 for my son to create a diorama with for this birthday. When I used to build, there was pretty much only Tamiya, Airfix, Revell around plus a few others that I never really paid much attention to, or had the money for.

We threw in this kit as a cheap one, as I had already blown the budget

- having seen Dragon box artwork before I thought this was going to be crappy, cheap but cheerful type of kit. I was very surprised when we opened it up, it was a high detail kit with etch parts and individual track links. I can't report on the part fit quality as yet.

If this turns out to be a reasonably high quality kit in terms of parts fitting etc., then if I were Dragon I'd be sacking my boxart artists - I was judging them on boxart quality having been not familar with the brand.

So what's the consensus about Dragon and Trumpeter out there ?

Reply to
Tempest

The problem with most modern kits is modelers drove the manufacturers to st op making "that's close" kits and instead get them as close to right as pos sible. That meant a switch to multimedia (e.g. etched brass, resin, and met al bits) as well as fine details. Result: kits went from 100-200 parts up t o well over 1,300 in some cases (e.g. DML Tiger I, Meng T-90A, Trumpeter SC UD B, etc.) and are NOT for kids. Boxes claim "not suitable for under 3 yea rs of age" but that is ridiculous.

The older kits are still out there - Revell/Monogram regularlly re-releases old Monogram and Renwal kits whose molds were cut in the 1950s and that is more like what I think you were looking for.

Cookie Sewell

Reply to
AMPSOne

Interesting. Yes I was amazed and surprised at the detail in the Dragon kit - I think the box says "14 years" which is the exact age of my son, but he's still a beginner. I haven't built a kit for many years so I doubt even I could do a half decent job on it, but I'm still impressed and pleased that the modelling world hasn't gone completely to snap-together kits like Matchbox !

Reply to
Tempest