Gun modelling to be illegal and references gone

Sounds very similar to our system, although the party in power are the only ones who can introduce legislation, "private members' bills" can be introduced by any MP. Since the Queen's Speech (actually written for her by the Government) outlines all the legislation for the next Parliament you get a good idea of the programme before it starts any way.
Reply to
Graeme Cosgrove
While I agree totally with this viewpoint, it's not always as straightforward as that.
Several years ago police in London received a call from a member of the public about a man with an Irish accent who had been seen in a pub in possession of a sawn-off shotgun. An armed response unit challenged the man as he was walking down the street, then shot him dead as he turned to face them. He turned out to be Scottish, not Irish, and the shotgun proved to be a recently-repaired *table leg* in a plastic bag. The police later claimed they thought he was about to fire at them.
The initial inquest into the shooting came back with a verdict of accidental death: the victim's family appealed and the second inquest last year decided it was 'unlawful killing'. The Metropolitan Police then appealed and this verdict was quashed. Then within the last couple of weeks the two policemen concerned have been charged with murder.
If the man had been carrying a gun, replica or not, then most people would have felt he deserved everything he got. But a table leg in a carrier bag? -- Gordon Davie Edinburgh, Scotland
"Slipped the surly bonds of Earth...to touch the face of God"
Reply to
Gordon Davie
I don't have the answer to that problem, Kurt, never did. I was just raising an issue to think about.
True that you may not have sympathy for someone like that but, unfortunately you are not sitting on the benchs or in the jury boxes in the hundreds of thousands of municipal, county, state and federal criminal and civil courts. Sadly, often the best means of protection to the police officer is to do what I eventually did and get out of that game.
I'd like an environment where law enforcement had freedom from liability in such cases. Unfortunately, we live in an era where everyone wants to blame someone else for their screw-ups and is cocked and locked to sue anyone whenever they even perceive the possibility of making a buck at someone else's expense. I won't even begin to comment on the lawyers that blatantly encourage such action. I left law enforcement after eight years of uniformed patrol, tactical team, detective team, and counter-drug team service to reenter the military and I have never looked back. In my opinion, being a police officer just isn't worth the grief anymore.
Reply to
Bill Woodier
Hmmm. Dark night, perhaps fog and/or rain, poor lighting, previous report of man with gun, suspect walking away from police, turns rather quickly, has not fully identifiable object in hand, perhaps raising it...........Shoot? Don't shoot?
I've been there. That's why I now leave law enforcement to younger, more brave individuals than myself.
Reply to
Bill Woodier
This is one reason why I wouldn't want to be a police officer today. There are too many people just waiting to second guess you from the safety of a paneled office. In London, with the Irish "troubles" going on and you never know what's next, the Officers had a tough call. There isn't a "Hogan's Alley" in the world that can train you to a point where you are infallible.
Bill Shuey
Reply to
William H. Shuey
Graeme Cosgrove wrote in news:d9o732$ich$1$ snipped-for-privacy@news.demon.co.uk:
You'd be
over here.
constitution
specific
downtrodden by our
in the 17th
much of a
various acts
state but
executive
the head of
treat their
Netherlands,
I dunno, bub, criminalizng self defense seems like a pretty tyrannical thing to me.
Reply to
Gray Ghost
"Bill Woodier" wrote in news:wJFve.3111$J12.2640@trnddc05:
bit. Making
more than a
1973, when I
I came
year old who
People that take replica guns to a gun fight are to stupid to be allowed to reproduce.
Reply to
Gray Ghost
From Snatch...."My gun has Desert Eagle .50 stamped on the side, yours has replica stamped on it..."
Reply to
Ron
Not to mention the Government deciding that being a burglar is a legitimate occupation and giving $5000 to a burglar who was shot by a home owner so he can sue the home owner on the grounds that post traumatic stress from the incident has left him unable to pursue his occupation?
Bill Shuey
Reply to
William H. Shuey
That is just too effed up for words.....kind of like New York's mandatory retreat law.
Reply to
Ron