Seeking info Fokker G-1 and Beech E 18 S

Have two Fokker G-1 MPM kits and wish to build one as Mercury-engined variant and second one as TwinWasp-engined prototype. Correct measurements are hard to find. Also have a Beech 18S (C-45H) by Hobbycraft and wish to modify to a civil Beech E 18S. Know the main issues on what is changed but lack details such as sizes, prop diameter etc. Any help?

John

Reply to
John Velenturf

Fokker G-I: I got the following from Profile 134:

Wingspan; G-1A (Mercury) 17.15 m G-1B (Twin Wasp) 16.5 m OA Length: A 11.5 B 11.5 Wing Area: A 38.3 m2 B 35.7 m2

It sounds like you're going to have a heck of a time conforming the wing to one of the variants. Also note that you specified the Twin Wasp prototype, whereas these were for production G-1B--I don't know if the prototype had the smaller wing.

Mark Schynert

Reply to
Mark Schynert

I have a web page on the work I have done so far on my G1 Mercury so far:

As stated on the page, I haven't done measurements of it (yet). But from talking with other G1 builders here in the Netherlands, it seems the dimensions are pretty accurate. The biggest problem I see is the shape of the fuselage around the cockpit area, it's too square there. But that's about it.

I don't know whether the dimensions of the prototype are known. I will look in my references. You could ask the Fokker G1 Society (link on the page), but I don't know whether they provide this kind of service..

Rob de Bie My models:

Me 163B site:

Rob de Bie

I discovered that the prototype started with the smaller wings, which were then used in the G-IB, while the G-IA were built with the larger wings.

Mark Schynert

Reply to
Mark Schynert

I believe that is largely correct. I can't guarantee it, but I believe the outer wings were roughly similar on all three (internally not though). The main difference is the distance between the centerlines of the engine (because of different prop sizes), and hence the span of the wing center section.

I checked my main source, Hooftman's book, but it doesn't give dimensions of the prototype. It does contain a large number of photos of the prototype though. Problem is that it is a petty rare book, even in the Netherlands.

Dimensions listed for the G1 Mercury and G1 Wasp are:

Wingspan: 17.16 / 16.52 m Length: 10.87 / 10.38 m Height: 3.80 / 3.35 m Wing Area: 38.30 / 35.70 m2

Rob de Bie

My models:

Me 163B site:

Rob de Bie