Trumpeter SA-2 at Military Hobbies

Now that the long awaited SA-2 Missile and Launcher are at Military Hobbies:

I was wondering about creating an SA-2 SAM Site diorama.

Can anyone point me to some information about how they were deployed?

Reply to
John R Meloro

You'll need six of them! Arranged in a circular pattern, with a "Star of David" arrangement of trackways to allow the resupply vehicles to reload the launchers. You'll also need the radar in the middle!

Chris

Reply to
Chris Hughes

Thanks Chris,

Now, what does the radar look like?

Reply to
John R Meloro

Try doing a Google search on "SA Guideline fan song".

The above URL has drawings/photos of use to you.

Reply to
Gary Kato

Hi, How many missles come with a kit? And does it have the Fan Song radar van? Thanks. Weasel

Reply to
Weasel

One. One kit has the launcher and the other comes with a ZIL-157T tractor and the transloader trailer. No radar.

To do up a Vietnamese SA-2 site you need at least (!) six missle launchers, one FAN SONG, one SPOON REST, one ROCK/STONE CAKE, one BAR LOCK, several commo vans, and about a 30 x 30 foot diorama base... 8-)

Cookie Sewell AMPS

Reply to
AMPSOne

I know what the radar looks like. I've been inside one several times. It's big, real big. The cab is as big as a small house sitting on a large "pedestal" that rotates it around. Then there's the radar antenna that attaches to the cab. It's big, real big........

"The world would be a much better place if every one could pick and choose their obligations, but we can't and we shouldn't." Major Charles W. Whittlesey

Reply to
Bill Woodier

Now, all it needs is an AGM 45 or an AGM 78 about arrive.. oh heck, CBU 30s or MK20 's would compliment it nicely.

Reply to
dave

The FAS website has an image of the "Star of David" site layout.

The long, straight tracks go straight through the missile revetment.

The resupply vehicle parks on pre-positioned chocks, which align the missile carrying rail with the rail on the launcher.

When they're in alignment, the crew slide the missile back onto the launcher and the resupply vehicle scoots off for another reload.

Cookie Sewell wasn't joking when he said you'll need a baseboard about 30' x

30'!
Reply to
Chris Hughes

(rest snipped)

.........and that's 30'x30' 1-1 scale feet for a 1/32 scale SA-2 site!

"The world would be a much better place if every one could pick and choose their obligations, but we can't and we shouldn't." Major Charles W. Whittlesey

Reply to
Bill Woodier

An AGM-45 or 78 wouldn't hit the TEL, it'd go for the radar...

Reply to
Rufus

Cookie, have you started yours

Woody

AMPS> One. One kit has the launcher and the other comes with a ZIL-157T tractor and

Reply to
James Woody