Dream Solidworks System?

Hello,

I have about $8k spend on a new computer to replace my old desktop at work. I plan on using it primarily as a Drafting computer in Solidworks, and for data analysis in Matlab and development in LabWindows and LabView.

I have played with some dell configurations, such as the Dell Studio XPS, and have come out with a monster (but not compared to some workstations I have configured online) system.

My system is Intel Core i7-940 at 2.93 Ghz, 24 gig memory (1066 Mhz) ATI Radeon HD 4850, 1.5 Tb RAID, dual 30'' HD Widescreen Monitors (I have to have my dual monitor stup! ;)) Etc etc.

If any of you were to have $8-10k to spend on a system, what would it be and whom would you recommend I purchase it from?

Thanks for your help.

Mike

Reply to
Mike

What are you doing? Huge assemblies?

Why ATI? NVIDIA is the way to go.

TOP

Reply to
manager
8-10k.. nice.. decent setup you have spec'd but I would change a few things.

I would go with the i7 extreme since you have the money..

Also the ATI Radeon card is NOT for CAD. I would go with a nvidia Quadro card or an ATI FireGL (actually I think they call them something else now) workstation card. Easy way to know.. Workstation cards (CAD cards) are built for OpenGL, Gamer cards are built for DirectX.

And just for information, with 24GB of RAM you will have to go with a

64bit operating system. So make sure all of your software will run with it. I would suggest going with Windows7 RC instead of buying Vista, unless you can get Vista with a Win7 upgrade.

I would look at Dell, HP, Lenovo, and XI computers. I priced a decent system at each, and XI computers came in 5-600 cheaper. And I also priced building my own and was able to spend the same as XI and get more. for about 2,200 I got a case, asus 6T v2 mobo, core I7 extreme,

12gb ram, Nvidia Quadro 570, Windows Vista 64bit business, hdd, case fans, etc.

Had to build it myself, but saved some m> Hello,

Reply to
tnik

Actually, that was the way to go a lil bit ago, but ATI has come a long way.. Anna actually did a comparison, her write up is on her blog.

tnik