incrustrations on a Dragon

I have to put (fish type) scales on a Dragon I have just drawn, to cover about 70% of it`s body lots of little extrusions or any thing to break up the smoth surface he looks naked any tip`s to speed this tedious process up would be much appreciated

Thanks in advance

Mike

Reply to
mike

I think the silence after your last post said it all. Unless you have a spare weekend to spend on this, you might consider mapping a texture. If you have to have the geometry, I would recommend simplifying it somewhat, by possibly making swept grooves instead of making each individual scale. I did something like that once for a shingled roof, but it had the advantage of being simpler geometry that was easier to fit a pattern to.

Maybe you could post a picture of your dragon? Here's one I did as an example of a centerline loft. No scales.

"mike" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@news.comindico.com.au:

Reply to
matt

Surface knot point density? It should be possible to place an ordered array of "scaled scales", one per set of 3 knot points ... but overlaps might be an issue ... and a bit of API programming needed ...

Reply to
Cliff

the only thing i can think of is a sketch driven pattern

Reply to
Sean Phillips

Mike,

Igot it !!!

"Scaleworks" a new SW add in !!!

Mark

Reply to
MM

Any link ? Dynabits had an add-in to make "real" 3D patterns (like the sketch-driven, but ensuring the patterned features are built tangent or normal to the closest face at each point). It is used for golf balls and jewelry. For a simpler and realistic dragon I'd advise to use textures (see

and
for examples) and ideally to render it through "bump mapping" or even "displacement mapping" techniques available on some "artistic" 3D tools, but not on CAD yet (SolidWorks 2006+ ?)

Reply to
Philippe Guglielmetti

Where's BD ?

Reply to
Cliff

Philippe,

You do know that this was a joke,,, right??

Mark

Reply to
MM