OT: A very brief chronology of mainstream MCAD application origins.

For those that may be interested. For the predisposed the referenced pieces are interesting reading. _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

1982: Autodesk founded. (2) AutoCAD v1 released. (3) (Based on Interact written by co-founder Mike Riddle. (2))

1985: PTC founded. (2)

1988: Autodesk ships AutoSolid. (1) Based on Cadetron (PADL-2 C recode) acquisition. (2)(3) (Might have been called "SolidWorks". (3)) PTC ships first commercial version of Pro/Engineer ($9,500) (2)

1990: Autodesk Advanced Modeling Extension (AME, AutoCAD option module). (2)(3) Autodesk licenses ACIS, Applied Geometry Corp., D-Cubed. (2)

1992: Autodesk acquires MES (becomes AutoSurf). (3)

1993: Autodesk introduces Designer (ACIS) and AutoSurf. (2)(3) Solidworks (Winchester Design Systems) conceived. (2)

1995: Autodesk releases AutoSurf v2.1. (1) Designer v1.2. (1) "a parametric solid modeling tool" (40,000 copies sold by end of '95)

1996: Solidworks ships. (2) (Autodesk '93 to '96 sales total about 1.75 billion (all divisions). (2) Autodesk production release of Mechanical Desktop. (2) (Integrated AutoCAD, Designer, AutoSurf.)

Autodesk begins development of Rubicon / Inventor. (2)

1999: Autodesk Inventor v1. (2) 2002: Autodesk bundled Inventor, AutoCAD Mechanical and Mechanical Desktop into a single product bundle called Inventor Series (2) _
_ _ _ _ _ _ _

(1)

(2)
(3)
(from
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

"Adobe is one of the most consistently irritating companies on Earth with which to do business. I'd like to give you a nice button for downloading your own copy of Acrobat Reader, but they won't let me use the image without "registering" and "licensing" it, which I'm certainly not going to do in order to promote their product and its file format."

:-)

Reply to
other mid range fat girl

Really. It's all fascinating but outside the intended context.

Thanks for the links.

Look at David Weisberg's book (2) if you haven't.

"One final word before you start ? if you find any errors in this material or take issue with what I have written, please let me hear from you. Also, if you have photographs or illustrations you would like to see incorporated into this document, please forward them to me. Having this book online results in a dynamic document that I will update as needed in the future."

Beside being a great deal (freebie or donation) you can probably find something to argue with him about.

Reply to
other mid range fat girl

Cliff stirred from his nap and posted:

Chapter 15 Patrick Hanratty and MCS.pdf