Seeking workaround for Special Characters in SolidWorks drawings

I have a need to put special font characters in my drawing notes and dimensions.

Characters like alpha, beta, delta, etc. a=DFd

These are all accessable in the font we use in our drawings through the windows character map tool.

Unfortunately, when you input them into a drawing note or dimension dialog box and accept the changes, it converts the character to a standard letter. Small letter "delta" for example becomes small "d".

Does anyone know a workaround for this?

Please request this as an enhancement request if you think it should be made to work like other windows compliant programs.

--cutthroat

Reply to
cutthroat.trout

Works fine over here using Century Gothic fonts, just checked.

I have use ø alt+0248, ° alt+248 and ± alt+0177 for years instead of SolidWorks build in symbols they come out better on print.

Double check your dim fonts also I would print to PDF and check if all shows identical

What font are you using?

Characters like alpha, beta, delta, etc. aßd

These are all accessable in the font we use in our drawings through the windows character map tool.

Unfortunately, when you input them into a drawing note or dimension dialog box and accept the changes, it converts the character to a standard letter. Small letter "delta" for example becomes small "d".

Does anyone know a workaround for this?

Please request this as an enhancement request if you think it should be made to work like other windows compliant programs.

--cutthroat

Reply to
mr.T

Just tried it here as well works fine.

John Layne

John Layne

We're using century gothic as well.

I wonder if the alt key characters are the same as the character map characters?

You'll notice in the Windows character map program that some characters will list the alt-xxxx keystroke code and some will not.

Apparently the greek letters like I'd prefer to use are not some that will allow alt-xxxx input.

--cutthroat

Reply to
cutthroat.trout

I am pretty sure that all of the characters to which you are referring can be found by simply changing your font to "symbol". I also believe thats its either a standard windows font, or one thats installed by default with solidworks. I did not specifically install it, yet it is available.

Reply to
Brian

Hi Cutthroat,

I just used the Windows character map on a character that doesn't have the alt keystroke.

Works in a note but not in a dimension, it looks ok in in dialogue box but changes, as you said. Both note and dimension text used century gothic.

Windows XP SP2 SolidWorks 2005 SP5

John Layne

John Layne

Ok got it to work, there is a bug with the dialogue window on the left!!!!!!!!!!

If you right click the dimension select properties and then select the modify text button you can enter the symbol in that window and it works.

John Layne

John Layne

John,

You got it spot on there. It is a bug, and it does work as you say. I can work around it with this functionality.

It will also sometimes act like the other dialog window on the left if you don't do it correct.

Thanks much!

--cutthroat

Reply to
cutthroat.trout