Vista DRM & Swks...?

Given that Vista has been written, DES encrypted internatlly for signed approved drivers and hardware with very tight limits on anything that appears to be 'not normal', down to checking data streams every 30 milliseconds, I truly have to wonder if SolidWorks on a Vista PC is going to take a big speed hit?

If you read the following article, you will get a flavor of just how restrictive and punishing the Microsoft requirements are on PC makers and software application engineers, and how that might translate into degraded or non-operating functions on PCs.

Vista is for the biggy audio-video mega-corporation's benefits, and definately not for the technical user.

For me, give me VISTA without the opportunity to run Blue-Ray & HighRes DVD super-duper stuff and audio codecs, and let me run SolidWorks on a FAST MACHINE THAT DOESN'T CRASH.

Bo

Reply to
Bo

So will people not rush out and use Vista for the same supposed reason they don't rush out and use Linux or Mac? What I am talking about is compatibility. When the newest version of Windows becomes incompatible with the previous versions of Windows from either a software application or hardware standpoint does that not open the market up to alternative operating systems like MacOS or Linux?

Reply to
TOP

Yeah, I don't know how compatable Linux is going to be with Solidworks

2007 and I'm not exactly hip to the idea of stopping work while I wait for SW to come out with a RedHat or OS X version. I'm going to have to sit tight on XP and hope Vista doesn't screw me by way of the people I do business with.
Reply to
JRB

XP is the last Windows OS for our company. Over the last three years we've converted all business applications (except accounting and CAD) to Linux. I sincerely hope SolidWorks is probing a port to an open system.

Reply to
MG

"we've converted all business applications to Linux." = smart.

Even a tech heavy Windows user is likely to be unable to skin down non-essential functions in Vista so that you can get rid of all the cycle hogs that slow down the CPUs.

To me, that means CAD is going to have to start supporting one or more of the NIXes.

Virtualization has now allowed users to run native with what they need, and turn on a Virtual OS as needed, even if it isn't quite as fast as native.

Pure engineering dollars and sense.

Bo

MG wrote:

Reply to
Bo

I'm trying to find out from my VAR if the next version of SW will run on XP. If not, I'm not going to renew my subscription/maintenance. SW is the only reason that I have any version of Windows. Everything else runs on Linux...and has since 1998. I too wish that SW would port to any version of *NIX. And I'd gladly give up all the drag and drop junk that is in SW. I rarely use it as I'd rather know that the features that I'm creating are what I expect them to be and that they will behave how I want them to behave.

Reply to
ed_1001

Amen Again. SolidWorks President's long term binoculars ought to be focusing on what users are going to tolerate, given the mess Windows has stuck users with over the last half decade.

With Vista set to constantly look for fraudulent audio and video and photos like a damn FBI agent in your computer, I can say that is definately NOT WHAT I WANT FOR SOLIDWORKS USE, DAMMIT!

In business, I will bet more than 50% of the PC owners don't want a CD/DVD drive in their average user's PC, and for the people running mission critical stuff, they don't want 50 applications running and slowing down the key application, and certainly not malware crap of the last 5 years.

The pressure will be on to get PCs with an OS which has JUST WHAT THE NEED REQUIRES.

Bo

ed_1001 wrote:

Reply to
Bo

Interesting comment about the 50 applications running. I use SW on two different computers. One is at my day job, the other nights and weekends. The computer at my day job has a better graphics card and faster processor. Both are SW2006SP4.0. Both are XP64 with 64 bit SW. The computer at home is much faster on virtually all files/features. The huge difference is all the junk that has to run on the work machine. It is connected to the internet, so has a firewall, AV, network admin stuff, Windows update, etc. ad naseum running. The one at home has nothing but SW running. A lot faster. Based on what I've read, with Vista, there will be no choice. Tons of DRM/encription always running, and if the PC can't phone home, it will eventually be crippled. Yuk.

Bo wrote:

Reply to
ed_1001

I do not think most companies or users yet grasp what Microsoft and the large entertainment industry efforts @ DRM & "Trusted Computing" (Trusted Crippling?) are going to bring with the most wonderful "Vista".

I see no way of moving to Vista myself.

Bo

ed_1001 wrote: with Vista, there will be no choice. Tons of DRM/encription always running, and if the PC can't phone home, it will eventually be crippled. Yuk.

Reply to
Bo

JRB, you noted "> sit tight on XP and hope Vista doesn't screw me by way of the people I

awhile, and I quote from someone using VISTA:

I'm currently on a 2gb vista test machine and it's going into swap all the time. 2gb is really not enough... it's dog slow due to the swapping.

Add to that:

S...L...O...W... I mean this is a dual processor 64bit machine and it's slower than the celeron running XP next to it.

Running about 50% of available software switches aeroglass off. Sometimes it doesn't come back on without a reboot.

Bo

JRB wrote:

Reply to
Bo

And then I run XGL on a three year old laptop with a 2Ghz Pentium IV,

512Mb and ATI Mobility and it flies.
Reply to
TOP