Thin foam plastic from plastic trays

You know those plastic trays used by supermarkets for meat, etc? The flat parts are useful for making those subtle variations in ground level that occur in real life. It scales around 1/2 to 1ft thick in HO.Just cut roughly to shape, glue down with white glue, then carve the edges with a craft knife. I use cheap latex or acrylic craft paint 9on sale) for the basic colour, then the usual ground cover.

I'm sure others have found additional uses for this free "craft material." ;-)

Have fun, Wolf K.

Reply to
Wolf K

Just make sure you WASH them THOROUGHLY to get all of the meat bits, blood, and other smelly stuff off or you may find yourself with an infestation of creatures that like dead rotting things.

Reply to
Rick Jones

Great, live animals in the rural scenes ;-)

Greetz Jan

Reply to
Jan Van Gerwen

Hey, you could build as little zoo for them!

Wolf K.

Reply to
Wolf K

Or create a monster movie scene: "Giant Insects Terrorize Railroad Passengers" or maybe "Oversize Rodents Attack Town". :-) Add in some plastic dinosaour toys and open a small scale Jurasic Park...

Reply to
Robert Heller

I once had a nest of hunstman spiders hatch out on my HO railway. Since the baby spiders were everywhere and scaled out at four to five feet in diameter, it must have been quite frightening for the model town's inhabitants!

I left a stick between the edge of the railway baseboard and an open window and they went away.

Reply to
fred

Well you could make a "Walking Dead" themed layout...

Reply to
Musicman59

But I haven't seen any trains still running on that show.

Reply to
Rick Jones

That's why they're Walking ...

Reply to
Lobby Dosser

I wonder why?

After all, American locos are still equipped with dead man switches.

(Ducks and runs...)

Reply to
Twibil

I wonder why?

After all, American locos are still equipped with dead man switches.

(Ducks and runs...)

Reply to
Lobby Dosser