Re: Trailer reminder

Seema a very peculiar system, how the heck does it apply to truck & trailer combinations? Downunder we have GVW and GCW (Gross Combination Weight) The GCW can be up to 2-1/2 times the GVW depending on the vehicle's tare weight.

Tom

Reply to
Tom

What !! ??

The GCW is the Gross COMBINATION Weight of the vehicle with trailer.

The GVW is the Gross VEHICLE weight.

Your van is 2.7 tonnes GVW and 4.7tonnes GCW. Our van is 2.9 tonnes GVW and 4.9 tonnes GCW.

So, you can have the van fully loaded AND a 2tonne loaded trailer on tow.

The 85% rule ONLY applies when there is no manufacturer's rating plate. On your basis, goods vehicles could never be used to their rated weights at all.

Please read your van instruction book!!

Peter

Reply to
Peter A Forbes

It's a nice idea Martin but of little use. The thieves have already demonstrated there contempt for the law by nicking your caravan. Do you really think the lack of brake/side lights & indicators would worry them. I agree that the combination becomes a little more obvious to a passing patrol car (only at night) but since the police now rely on cameras the chance of a stop is very low. The other point is what should they do when their lights go out? Stop and try to repair it (if they know how) or carry on and hope? The latter would almost certainly prevail. The best anti theft is a wheel clamp. There are cases on caravan NG where vans with hitch locks have been taken by simply chaining the van to a tow bar. The van is unstable but so what. Since the tow vehicle is generally a heavy van or even lorry, it won't bother it and if the van is damaged, they don't care. After all, it cost them nowt. Let's all try to keep our trailers/caravans.

John

Reply to
John Manders

If I can find it I will direct you to an incorrect website.

Mart> >

Reply to
Campingstoveman

I'm saying it should have.

Mart>> The 85% rule ONLY applies when there is no manufacturer's rating

Reply to
Campingstoveman

Peter,

If thats the case then how come my brothers 11 ton mercedes truck all up weight includes what he is towing.

Mart> >

Reply to
Campingstoveman

Look on the DTI website or your own vehicle data plate, don't go by websites unless they are the ones that make the legislation that you have to abide by.

Also, don't forget that if you are towing commercially, and your trailer makes the GCW to be over 3.5 tonnes, then you also need a tachograph, and that makes you subject to the Driver's Hours Regulations.

"The maximum laden weight of a trailer which may be towed by a light goods vehicle depends on both the stated gross train weight of the towing vehicle (GTW) and the vehicle manufacturer's recommended maximum permissible trailer weight. Neither the maximum permissible trailer weight or the maximum gross train weight (the laden weight of the trailer plus the laden weight of the towing vehicle) should be exceeded. It is possible that the stated gross train weight is less than the sum of the stated maximum permissible laden weight of the towing vehicle and the stated maximum permissible laden trailer weight. In this case the towing vehicle and the trailer must be loaded such that each does not exceed its individual maximum limit and the sum of both does not exceed the maximum gross train weight."

(My Van) Kerb Weight (Excluding Driver) (kg) 1826 Maximum Payload (Including Driver) (kg) 1149 Maximum Towing Weight Braked - Driver Only (kg) 2000

Total: 4975kg excluding driver.

Weights and towing data (kg) UK plated weights and kerbweights (kg) Front axle Rear axle Total Plated Kerb Plated Kerb GVW Kerb

1450 1141 1550 646 2760 1787 Payload Plated Gross combination weights (kg) 973 4760 Maximum towing weights: Trailer with brakes Trailer without brakes 2000 750

Note: Kerbweights for standard vehicles include coolant, oil, 90% full fuel tank(s) and spare wheel. They will vary according to the vehicle specification (including options and accessories) with a corresponding variation in payload. Payload figures do not allow for the weight of the driver, or any passengers, which should therefore be deducted from the figures shown.Gross plated weights (including axle weights) quoted on the vehicle plate must never be exceeded. Roof load should not exceed 200kg. Towing weights should not exceed 750kg (unbraked trailer) or 2000kg (braked trailer). Please note: Weights for vehicles fitted with air-conditioning may vary.

Peter

Reply to
Peter A Forbes

Gentlemen and Peter and John,

I have taken legal advice and decided to read the door jam and the manual in my van and find that Peter is in fact correct but I did find something else that is of interest and that is a sentence which reads that "these towing weights unless otherwise stated are calculated on a gradient up to 12%" so my earlier comments were not so daft after all John.

Mart> >

Reply to
Campingstoveman

Yes, they have to take gradeability into account as well as level road performance.

You will also note that aircon makes a difference because it takes so much power to run, and the weight of the compressor etc is significant.

Peter

Reply to
Peter A Forbes

Oh I agree that they SAY it Martin, but how is it that different engined cars in the same range have the same towing capacity when traction is not an issue? If my Sierra is limited to hill starting a certain weight on a 12% slope, there is no way that a 2 litre car could do the same. I believe that the same applies to the jaguar X Type range. The towing limit is the same regardless of the engine option.

John

Reply to
John Manders

That may well be a calculation made by the manufacturer.

If my memory is at all correct the only legal requirement is that there should be 6bhp available for each tonne of gross train/combination weight.

This may only apply to commercial use, private use seems to enjoy many exemptions.

AJH

Reply to
sylva

There was an 8bhp/ton rule introduced in the 1970's, which stretched a few truck makers at the time, especially Scania who had the DS8 engine with 192bhp and Volvo with their F86 engine version. Both uprated fairly quickly to meet the laws, and the larger Scania DS11 engine and Volvo F88 truck had no problem.

I think Gardners only had the 8LXB to offer, while R-R and Cummins were OK.

Peter

Reply to
Peter A Forbes

That was the nail in Gardner's coffin, They tried to uprate the 6 cylinder engine with turbo and a threp'ny bit behind the cold start but reliability suffered. Problem was it was an old design hardly altered over the years and whilst power and revs were at the old standards it was fine but a small increase was enough to find the weak points. Materials helped but physical restraints were still the stumbling block.

All though it's life the engines never moved off a 3/8" diameter valve stem with threaded end. Not a lot of material on this stem for the head size and a nice stress point at the end of the thread.

Interesting to note that the LXB valves changed onto nimonic materials and cut down in length and recut with collet grooves they would fit directly into a Manx Norton and be perfectly reliable at around 7,000 rpm.

They probably don't know it but many 'Gardner's' have lapped the Isle of Man at over the ton

John S.

-- Regards,

John Stevenson Nottingham, England.

John Stevenson