Semi-Diesel

Just found this on compression ratios in 'The Internal Combustion Engine' by Ricardo & Clyde (1941): (Comparing CR for petrol & oil engines)

"In the case of the Compression-ignition engine, the minimum compression ratio which will enable the engine to start and at the same time enable combustion to be initiated rapidly and smoothly is round about 12:1 Thus there is a wide neutral zone of CR extending from about 7.5:1 to

12:1 which is not normally used for the internal combustion engine of either the spark-ignited type or the C-I type. Within this zone in the case of the petrol engine the use of anti-detonating dopes is necessary, while in the case of the oil-engine, pre-detonating dopes, hot plates &c., must be used."

Cheers Tim

Tim Leech Dutton Dry-Dock

timleech

Thanks for that Nick and Eric, very interesting.

No relative, unless he had links with the farming community in North Tipperary!

Reply to
Arthur G

The 1925 Science museum catalogue lists an 1889 6stroke Griffin gas engine (vertical 0.5hp). Donated by W H Brown in 1922. Possibly now in the reserve collection? It also lists a reference if anyone has this book: Donkin: Gas, Oil and Air Engines 5th Ed. p67. ttfn Roland

Reply to
Roland and Celia Craven

There are two engravings on our web pages, one or both may have come from the Bryan Donkin book (present from John Ambler)

Prepair Ltd

It's on P67 in the 3rd edition, 1900 as well.

Peter

Peter A Forbes

Lovely engravings Peter, thank you.

I've got the Griffin Simplex as my desktop background now.

Arthur G

Reply to
Arthur Griffin & Jeni Stanton

Re Field Marshalls -- think the farming/tractor community always call them diesels. Certainly did yesterday at the Penparc rally, where the excited (& knowledgeable) commentator insisted the microphone was pushed up the exhaust of a FM Srs 2 on parade -- with the statement that "these 2 stroke diesels sound like nothing else". But ... there are always areas where common perception & factual accuracy may differ ...........

Reply to
Colin