Aluminum material sources

I need to find fairly small quantities (less than 100ft) of aluminum round and rectangular tube, preferably within reasonable drive distance around Boston Mass. I have a trailer with 24ft floor, so pickup of

20ft lengths would not be a problem. Is it customary to have to buy full 20ft lengths ?, not that it would be a problem, I'd just like to know.

BTW, I did something similar with steel a long time ago, at the time I was able to buy rejected and damaged lengths from STS is Marlborough, I just paid for the length that was judged "good", but hauled away the whole 20ft lengths.

Reply to
2regburgess

I'm not familar with the supply houses near Boston but buying full lengths is the way I always go. The supply houses around here will charge a cutting fee so the full length doesn't cost much if anything more than the shorter piece and the cutting fee. That way I have the material for the project at hand and then extra for future projects. I have been known to take a hacksaw with me or if I have the rig to cut the material in the parking lot with a chop saw so that I can carry it.

Most places would rather sell the full length so that they don't have to do the cutting. Capt Ron

Reply to
hhrj

Reply to
Lance

Thanks, that gives me some idea of pricing, even for VERY small quantities (like 12"). I'm still looking for someone on the east coast, preferably around Boston.

Reply to
2regburgess

I'm in southern ME and deal with both of these places. They'll deliver if you're their route and have a place to unload. Check out Yarde's Drop Zone--if you can find what you need there the prices are excellent.

Ned Simmons

Reply to
Ned Simmons

Around here in Vancouver, Canada scrap Aluminum is about $2 Cdn ($1.66 US) a pound.

Reply to
Graham Parkinson

Thanks, I only just got around to actually finding them on the web;

'll try them for "shorts" after the week-end and when the weather breaks (-:

\Reg

Reply to
2regburgess