Another metal bending crosspost

I am considering making some parts from 4130 streamline tubing, (the smallest, .030 wall) and would like to bend it into gentle curves. It looks like sand bending may be the way to go. Has anyone done this? What method did you use? I'm not using it for aircraft, so it doesn't have to retain all of it's strength, but I don't want any crushes.

Reply to
Stupendous Man

you might consider making a roll former...

Reply to
Jon

Some other sources, and possibly different but related alloys.

Maxwell

Now that is some cool stuff. The immediate thing that comes to mind is making two (or more) piece molds. Use two different melting point alloys. Pour the hotter one first. Drill in alignment pins, spray with a non stick agent, and then pour the lower temp over the blank and first piece. If you have any issue with pouring you can just machine in some vent grooves in either piece afterwards. Because both are relatively low temp alloys you could hand carve your blank out of wood, or even piece it together and just glue the pieces to make your blank. Need a smooth surface? Just over pour the first piece and mill flat before pouring the second piece.

Reply to
Bob La Londe

Geez, and the obvious... If a mold becomes outdated you just melt it down and use the material again.

Reply to
Bob La Londe

The melt temps are so low, you can mold off wooden parts, or use mass casting plastic tooling resins.

A good release agent for pouring the low temp metals, is acetylene soot. Turn on the acetylene only, adjust until blowing some good black smoke, and flash the area to be molded.

Reply to
Maxwell

Yep used to use smoke on bullet and jig molds a long time ago. If I was in a hurry between runs I used PAM unflavored cooking spray too.

Reply to
Bob La Londe

Some interesting stuff. i wonder if i can also form aluminum by pressing it into a mold of this stuff.

Reply to
Stupendous Man

has a good list of compositions and melting points of several dozen low-temp alloys.

This might not be relevant to your idea, but note that Styrofoam is easier to cut than most wood and is commonly used as a mold for Lipowitz Metal (Cerrobend). Eg

sells melters, alloy, automated mold cutters, etc. into a high-priced medical market. A typical radiation therapy block uses around 5 pounds of Cerrobend.

-jiw

Reply to
James Waldby

Depending on thickness and complexity, yes.

But if you can live with a higher melting point, kirksite is more popular for short run aluminum forming tools.

Maxwell