Are these tiny 7" cutoff saws any good?

I don't have much use for a cutoff saw except for bits of flatbar and roundbar up to 1/2 inch. But a cutoff saw could be handy for cutting same length material.

I was wondering if these little saws are cost effective or do they eat disks?

Makita makes one that is pretty darned cheap $50 or so. I have no room for a big cutoff saw.

Reply to
Andrew

Harbor Frieght sells a simple mount that turns a 4-1/2" right angle grinder into a mini chop saw. Get some 5" thin cut off wheels and away you go.

Reply to
Ernie Leimkuhler

this may not be the answer you want to hear but if are cutting a 1/2" round stock or small flat bar here and there ,then a good hand saw with bi-metal blade will do you good, if you buy quality blade it will last along time and cuts nice, you may also improove your arm strenght :)

option 2 : cheap alternative.... you may already have a circularsaw (skill or other known brand) even wallmart or home depot sells 7 " metal cut-off blades which will mount in to you saw and will cut small stock just fine. If this is the case make sure your saw has metal blade guard not plastic (which I have not seen yet ) or it will melt away. keep in mind that these saws were not designed to use for metal cutting, so continous use will send it in the grave. (abrasive dust will get into the the internal parts and it it away. ) I've used mine on many occasion (lightly), burned about 5-6 cutting disc down to nothing, now I only use it for wood cutting nd it still works fine. (now have a band saw and plasma cutter, as better cuttiing tool)

option 3 : lowes /homedepot sells their brand of 4.5" angle grinder for $29 , you can buy 4" very thing metal cutting disks for $2-3 a piece anywhere even walmart has it. it will cut very nice but the blade will have short life time if you push it hard.

option 4: tractor supply and HF (Horrible fright) tools or other large hardware stores now sell a "& metal cutting circular saw simular to a skill saw, but it is designed for metal cutting $99 it comes with a metal cutting cabide blade.

good luck

Reply to
acrobat-ants

I bought a 4 1/2" angle grinder from walmart & 6 discs (discs were like $5 for 3). I used it to cut through exhaust tubing. It DOES eat through discs... but I push real hard. I cut through exhaust tubing (2.25") in about

10 seconds LOL.. I can make 1 disc last through 2 cuts through the exhaust tubing. But if I'm cutting other stuff like exhaust hangers... they last longer. But...they absolutely *devour* the metal...mmm...

-Mike

-- A happy kid behind the wheel of a 98 Mustang GT Cold air intake FRPP 3.73 gears Steeda Tri-Ax Shifter Flowmaster 40 Series mufflers (self-installed woohoo) Hi-speed fan switch

255/60R-15 rear tires Subframe connectors Aluminum adjustable clutch quadrant
Reply to
<memset

This is what I do now. But cutting a half dozen or more identical 3 inch long pieces accurately can be a pain. I'm making hanging planters. Shoulder problems make hand sawing another exercise in pain.

The 7 inch chopsaw looks good but I can't find one on the net. Even the Makita website doesn't have them.

Reply to
Andrew

I had a name brand type - Makita I believe - All plastic - not bad for the unit. Hardened teeth and all of that.... Plastic softens when cutting wood - I cut several miter cuts and the blade began to wobble. This was maybe 5 years or more ago - a dark blue color - I suspect a lot was learned in that design. It went to the dump.

Martin

Reply to
Martin H. Eastburn

Northern sells one but it's their house brand:

"I'm not grown up enough to be so old!"

Reply to
Keith Marshall

That's the puppy. Here in the GWN I have only the Makita (more money) but it looks identical. I guess I'll try one and see how much milage I get out of those thin 7 inch disks. Thanks for the tips guys.

Reply to
Andrew

Ernie, or anyone else -- have you used this rig from HF? I bought one a couple of years ago, and tried to set it up ... but eventually decided it just was not going to do what I wanted. As I recall, I set it up and took it through its motion, but I didn't actually ever try to cut anything with it, so I might have been wrong. I'd be interested in hearing if someone else got good results from it.

IIRC, the effective capacity was going to be very small, the mounting of the angle grinder was fussy and flimsy, and holding the stock was less than convincing ... and it seems like maybe something in the mounting would bind against another part when trying to use it?? I can't remember exactly. In any case, I decided that I could get just as good results, and far more flexibility, just using the angle grinder and thin cutoff wheels by hand, so I returned it. (I had thought I would eventually get HF's 14" abrasive saw instead -- only about $50 on sale -- but eventually went with a 4x6 bandsaw instead ... and I still do a lot of cutting using the angle grinder and the thin cutoff wheels!)

Reply to
Andrew H. Wakefield

i actually just picked one up from Penisula Auto, for $44 CDN. Also three more blades at $3 each... I need to cut 16 Ga wall round tubing 1" dia and below, should be great for that.

Reply to
Brian

I have an Everett 7" cutoff saw which is powered by a 3 HP motor. The capacity is quite limited because of the arbor diameter.

Reply to
ATP