Made a cheap abrasive saw for small parts

Looking in a catalog the other day I saw an abrasive chop saw for small work. This thing was $250.00! I have seen the chinese versions of these, including one that ran on 12 volts, for around 50 bucks. Anyway, I made, several years ago, an abrasive cutoff saw out of a miter saw for wood. It was easy and the setup worked very well for material up to about 1 inch square. The saw itself was a 7 1/4" miter saw made by some respectable name. I forget which. But it was about 80 bucks. After removing the fence I mounted a cheap drill press vise to the base. The mounting consisted of two screws and two alignment pins to keep the vise square. I first drilled the vise in the mill for the pins and screws and then used the vise to guide the drilling of the saw base. There was never any problem with sparks and swarf getting into places it shouldn't. And the vise was easily removed so the fence could be replaced and the saw used for wood and plastic. So if you already have one of these saws it can be converted pretty easily. For just one part, or only a couple parts, a C clamp would work OK. ERS

Reply to
Eric R Snow