16" abrasive chop saw gets its toughest test yet

I recently resurrected an old 16" abrasive chop saw with a 7.5 hp motor. Today I had to make a bunch of 45° cuts on 4x1½" steel channel, pretty stout stuff, and the chop saw was - barely - tough enough. Lot of steel to get through. It's amazing how easy it is to stall a 7.5hp motor with an abrasive blade. The guy I was cutting parts for was amazed and delighted at how fast and clean the cuts were. I used to own a 14" abrasive chop saw and there is no comparison whatever, a bigger saw wins hands down.

GWE

Reply to
Grant Erwin

Great. I did warn you that it's almost impossible to have enough HP on one of those. :-)

Reply to
Wayne Cook