Best epoxy for engine block repairs (2023 Update)

OK, you folks have convinced me that epoxy will work for cast iron engine block repairs; in my case to fix a long crack in the water jacket. Would you comment on which epoxies have worked for you? JB Weld is the old standard, but it has been pointed out that there are better products. Thanks again!

John

Reply to
Doctor John

Loctite puts on a 1-day seminar of adhesives. At the end of it all they give you a Ziploc bag full of samples. I go once per year, the samples keep my home stocked

Clandestine

An update on the search for the perfect engine block repair epoxy - The Belzona Super Metal looks like the ticket - only problem is the minimum amount is 2 kg (about 1 quart) and it cost $300 plus shipping! Anyone want to split an epoxy order with me?

John

Reply to
Doctor John

Belzona Super Metal (1111) is the absolute best for engine block repairs. Caterpillar specifies Belzona for engine repairs. Belzona does not rot, shrink, or corrode. Other products, when tested in the exact same tests, all have lower mechanical properties. If you are after good long term results, the Belzona products are very inexpensive.

Reply to
claytonjaystory

This place appears to sell it in 1kg quantities (don't know at what price though):

Go to their catalogue page, and search for item number: 812351

-- Ilya

Reply to
iillyyaa

I'd check at a Cat Dealer w/parts and engine repair shop. I'm not familiar with Belzona but usually if Cat specs something it's available through their parts department

Reply to
Lefty

Yes there are better products for this job than JB weld, but JB weld is still pretty good. After all it has been patched before with it and I gather it lasted for a long time. Also I gather that you are looking for something temporary until you can get it welded. JB weld would be my choice. Its cheap, readily available and will probably do the job you want done. We used it at work to patch a similar crack in an 80 KW engine/generator set. The patch was replaced twice over a period of seven years then the e/g was replaced, at this time the crack was poperly repaired , the old e/g placed an a trailer and is still being used as a portable unit.

Reply to
Jimmie

replying to Jimmie, Larry Autotech wrote: We have used Engine Block Repair Epoxy by EMP Inc. on several blocks that came to us for repairs which were circa 1960s. Product worked very well as described. JB Weld didnt work for us on past applications. We have used Belzona but the cost is high. EMP Inc was more affordable compared to Belzona but both required the same amount of labor.

Reply to
Larry Autotech

replying to Jimmie, Larry Autotech wrote: We have used Engine Block Repair Epoxy by EMP Inc. on several blocks that came to us for repairs which were circa 1960s. Product worked very well as described. JB Weld didnt work for us on past applications. We have used Belzona but the cost is high. EMP Inc was more affordable compared to Belzona but both required the same amount of labor.

Reply to
Larry Autotech

replying to Larry Autotech, John Zapotocky wrote: Where do you buy EMP epoxy at?

Reply to
John Zapotocky

Where do you buy EMP epoxy at?

Reply to
Adrian

Haha good idea for the cheap ass but I think old mate was asking for the best product.

Reply to
Simon