Chinese Plasma Cutters (Tested one out)

Had a chance to demo one of those chinese made 40 amp inverter plasma cutters the other day. Have to say, for as little as $400, I am quite impressed. They're most often marketed as Mitec or Dayton brand and "Cut 40" model. In any case, cuts 14 ga like butter and 1/4" i'm guessing at a rate of 15 - 20ipm? Has anyone used one of these extensively? How has it held up over time?

Thanks

-T

Reply to
TT

They hold up good until they fail, which is soon after you buy them. Then they sit there until you can find spare parts. IF you can find spare parts. Circuitry is weak. Connections are minimal. Wiring is substandard. Electronics are mostly recycled plastic. Other than that, they're just okay.

Don't mess around. Go buy a HyperTherm. And if you buy CCC (Cheap Chinese Crap), don't complain about the smell later from decaying flesh when it dies on you.

Steve

Reply to
Steve B

I was burning up the metal this afternoon - 120 ipm at 40 amp - 10 ga steel. That is with my Hyperthem 600 fine cut option, normal torch.

Martin Eastburn @ home at Lions' Lair with our computer lionslair at consolidated dot net NRA LOH & Endowment Member NRA Second Amendment Task Force Charter Founder IHMSA and NRA Metallic Silhouette maker & member

TT wrote:

Reply to
Martin H. Eastburn