CO2 mig again

Going to experiment, have a common or garden variety regulator as used on drink dispensers etc, no flow gauge, so what pressure as a rough guide is likely to give acceptable flow rate? 10 psi?

20volt 160"per minute? settings,What polarity? have unimig 175 amp inverter
Reply to
FMurtz

"The regulator varies the pressure through a specially drilled or critical orifice usually mounted at the outlet of the regulator."

Reply to
Jim Wilkins

Flow rate of the gas depends on the pressure and the size of the hole (orifice) the gas needs to flow through. So you haven't posted enough info to make even a rough guess. So you need to know size of the orifice and the orifice must be smaller than the gas hose inside the MIG whip. There is an online calculator to figure out gas flow. Here's the link

The MIG polarity is opposite to the fluxcore polarity. Eric

Reply to
etpm

I think I should just give up, it is all too technical for experimentation with no simple starting figures.

Reply to
FMurtz

"10 LPM is a good starting point for most gases."

You can measure 10 liters per minute with a bottle and a bucket. Fill the bottle with water, invert it with the mouth under water in the bucket, insert the gas hose and observe the emptying time. Your restrictor orifice could be a needle valve or a screw clamp on the hose, perhaps with a cigarette filter inside. If you can hit 10 LPM at

10 PSI then your pressure gauge gives flow rate.

Take the water to the welder, don't risk the unsecured tank falling over in the kitchen and becoming a rocket.

The final test is if you have sufficient gas flow to keep the weld clean, which you can easily see while you adjust the regulator.

Reply to
Jim Wilkins

You can buy flowmeter for MIG/TIG that fits over the nozzle like this

David Billington

Yeah, that's what I would do too. I mean spending ten minutes putting a couple hypothetical hole diameters and gas pressures into the boxes on a web site that you already have a link to and letting the site do the calcutations is pretty damn technical. You're better off letting someone esle do the welding too. I would say it's pretty technical to figure out which shade to use or which autodark hood to use. Eric

Reply to
etpm

Still too much technical discussion ,someone must have welded with just a common or garden regulator graduated in PSI and would know what psi to start at

Reply to
FMurtz

Yer makin' it a lot harder than it has to be . Start out at say 3 psi , if your welds look clean cut it back a bit , if they're cruddy jack it up a bit . Or are you just a garden variety jackass that wants to discuss endlessly why no one will tell you exactly what to do ?

Reply to
Terry Coombs

Due to lack of answers I just went out and did it, the regulator I used turned out to be marked in MPa' s not PSI, I just set it on about .1 MPa which dropped a bit when using,welder played up a bit and would not work but seeing it is an inverter and therefore electronic I did what I do with the computer and rebooted IE. off then on again, Voltage round

20volt current round 120A feed about 4.01 meters per minute and it just worked (clean weld not much spatter) regulator got cold but did not freeze Can experiment with CO2 feed
Reply to
FMurtz