Tig Torch Stand

How important is a stand for your TIG torch? You can buy them so cheap its not worth making, and of course I have metal (and magnets) all over
the shop so I could certainly make one, but will I find it useful or will it just be in the way all the time?
Is there anything wrong with just laying the torch on the welding table?
Some of my TIG work will be at the welding table, but I expect most of it will be on assemblies where even using the foot pedal will be difficult. I did pick up a finger switch for it, so I won't be setting down an electrically hot torch either way.

Without a stand your torch will fall off the table and break the ceramic cup. Maybe not right away but it will happen. Eric
On 25/04/2019 20:07, snipped-for-privacy@whidbey.com wrote:

Not happened to me in over 30 years with TIG but a couple of the expert TIG welders that gave me advice early on mentioned taking the helmet off, placing it on the welding bench, and hooking the back cap in the head band, works for me. Even with a decent autodark these day I prefer to take the helmet off when the weld is finished and put it back on before starting a new weld .

So your hood is your torch stand. If you just lay the torch on the bench it'll fall off. Eric
snipped-for-privacy@whidbey.com wrote:

Bench, what bench?