convert lbs of CO² to ft³

should be any easy task; but am hoping someone here has already "done the math" and knows about how long equivilant size bottles last.

case in point is the "free" 10# CO² bottle i was given: how long (comparitively) would that last (how much wire can i run)??

perhaps there is a JAVA AP just waiting to have its boxes filled out..

TIA,

Reply to
dogalone

There are some things to factor, Ambient temp. Flow rate Initial pressure Deposit rate speed Wire size Material thickness Material type Joint passes Root pass/ overlays Nozzle size too....

I too have tried to figure it out by keeping track of torch time and pre/post flow on a tig rig.... Major hassle. The HP48G has a comparative volume program function I recall from college but only in little parts. I still can't get it right. I just keep an 80cuber nearby and put the dead K's in front of the overhead so I get it first thing in the morning. Sounds like a Pro needs to step in here. It's over my head. I should have kept away from the bong before that class, I knew it!

Here is some fodder for thought directly from Miller on the Passport with a M10 gun (Smallest they make)

Self-contained gas cylinder holds 12 oz of CO2 for 25 minutes of constant weld time, or 25 ft of welding on 3/16 in thick material with .030 in mild steel wire.

I'd say you get three hours of heavy time- just a guess....

Rob

Sent From: ||Mobile data link- "TAD 3570 Top Alcohol Dragster", Robert Fraser Racing Enterprises, FCE LTD. Chicago, IL.|| Please send E-mail in lieu of calls to the shop or call on the satellite phone, we are on the road this week winning||

Reply to
RDF

Like I said, Hydrodynamics and Thermodynamics escape me here. I only had a piece of the puzzle. I really don't know given the density of the gas and it's properties in conversion. Friggin bong........ I'll stick with engine geometry and gizmometry, It's payin the bills so far. I usually run

20-30cfh on Argon and I never used CO2 but I got a big,big,tank coming for the mig now that I got some education here.

Rob

Sent From: ||Mobile data link- "TAD 3570 Top Alcohol Dragster", Robert Fraser Racing Enterprises, FCE LTD. Chicago, IL.|| Please send E-mail in lieu of calls to the shop or call on the satellite phone, we are on the road this week winning||

Reply to
RDF

I had my runs at Pomona (A funky track as Gunner can verify) My three runs were 5.113@ 288.09mph, 5.303@ 274.11 (Clutch problem) then a 5.119@

290.87mph and I'm consistent on the low 5's car on a shakedown other than the Joliet Dragstrip at home where I'm a bit quicker. I'm planning on going with a jet (Turbine car) and running Top Fuel in 2006 If my back holds up. I'm Top Alcohol Dragster now. Some girl just cracked into the high 4's at Las Vegas Last week I heard.

Rob

Fraser Competition Engines Chicago, IL.

Reply to
RDF

Thanks Tim!

Rob

Reply to
RDF

I have a 20 pound bottle that is finally almost empty. It has been hooked up to my Mig for a long time. I usually run CO2 whenever I weld steel, unless its a special job where I need 75/25 mix for some reason. I think I have used two small spools of 0.35 flux cored, and most of one large spool of

0.25 wire. A 10 pounder should last a good while unless you are going to weld 8 hours a day. Remember CO2 is like Propane for you grill, by the time the gage shows a drop in pressure its too late, you are empty. Check you CO2 by the weight of the bottle.

I use more CO2 filling the tanks for the grandkids and their friends Paintball guns every Saturday morning from the large bottle. I probably fill a half dozen 20oz, a dozen 10 oz bottles several times each on every Saturday that it isn't raining. There is a lot of waste, as I use CO@ to cool the bottle down to make filling quicker. You know a kid that runs out of CO2 can't wait to get back into the action. But even so I only get a large refill ($12.00 delivered) about once every three weeks.

Reply to
Diamond Jim

----------------

Snip! Snip! Snip! Snip! Snip! to shorten this!

----------------

OK keep the 10# for your everyday work. Rent a large CO2 bottle and use it to fill the 10# from a large one yourself.

Although you can fill the small bottle from any type of large bottle it is easiest when the large CO2 bottle is a siphon type. A siphon bottle has a tube that runs from the valve (inside) to the bottom of the bottle. When you attach a smaller bottle to transfer CO2 the large siphon bottle draws liquid CO2 and this is what is used to fill the smaller bottle. You don't have to worry about overfilling as the CO2 pressure will equalize in both. If you don't use a siphon type then you can turn the large bottle upside down. Really! It will work. This works because until the CO2 bottle is almost empty liquid CO2 evaporates inside the bottle to replace what is used and the pressure remains the same. (Well actually the pressure changes a little with the temperature.) So you want to transfer liquid, instead of gas, remember the pressure is the same for either.

If you don't use a siphon bottle or turn the full bottle upside down to transfer the liquid CO2 then what you get ing the smaller bottle is just gas. Gas only in a 10# will only give you a short welding time.

Of course this is a lot of CO2, so plan on doing a lot of welding.

Reply to
Diamond Jim

No if the bottle to be filled has/had CO2 or another inert gas in it, there is no need to evacuate it, that I can see, just hook up and go. (Make sure that it doesn't have 6000 psi of liquid nitrogen in it for example, that might cause a problem). The setup I have consists of a fitting that goes on the big bottle, a ball valve (400WAG) about 4 foot of high pressure rubber hose (S/S braid), with fittings on both ends, and a fitting to go on the bottle to be filled. I assembled it from parts at the Big Blue Store (Supermarket for farmers ).

However my grandson just informed me that you can get a fill kit at any paintball store for about $20-$25. At the most you might have to change the adapter on the end to fill your 10# bottle as they probably come with a fill adapter for small CO2 bottles on one end. However that is not problem. Heck, you could probably get the paintball store to fill your 10# bottle cheaper than you could get the Gas Supplier to do it. The paintball stores probably go through a ½ dozen big bottles a week and they are also usually open on weekends too.

Reply to
Diamond Jim

ESPN2 Joliet is this weekend, the re-broadcast west from Pomona is Wed.(ESPN-2 West) Get this. I knew something was "wrong again" with my back as I was having problems getting out of the car after shaking hard sideways on run 2 when my clutch acted up you can almost watch me slam the wall at half-track. On the third, I got beat and to get me out of the car we had to pull the windscreen. I trashed my back bad. I don't have the Joliet stat's yet. Gainesville is next, that one I hope to win some $$ I need a new Sunnen CK10. I'm out of engines for myself!! I need more sponsors. This Privateer stuff is killing me.

Rob

Reply to
RDF

Come'on, how about a little more accuracy here?

CO2 pressure changes with the temperature.

0ºC/32ºF = 505psi

5ºC/41ºF = 576psi

10ºC/50ºF = 652psi

15ºC/59ºF = 737psi

20ºC/68ºF = 830psi

25ºC/77ºF = 933psi

30ºC/86ºF = 1046psi

etc. etc. etc. you get the idea. As it gets hot here in coastal NC and my shop isn't air-conditioned I often see pressures in excess of 1200psi on my CO2 gages

Reply to
Diamond Jim

Okay.

Straight from Pocket Ref by Thomas J. Glover

Carbon dioxide - density (lb/cu ft) - 0.123420

The density listed above assumes a dry gs at standard temperature (0C) and pressure (760 mmHg) and under those conditions, one mole of any gas will occupy a volume of 0.7914 cubic feet.

Thus, 1/.123420 = 7.5757575 cubic feet of CO2 per pound @ 0C and 760 mm Hg.

Did I do that right?

Steve

Reply to