Ernie's seminar

A couple weeks ago I, along with several other guys, attended a seminar taught be Ernie Leimkuhler. It was all about wire feed welding. I have a little SP125 Plus welder and wanted to be able to use it to the best of its abilities. One important item was the sound of the welding technique. With short circuit sounding like heavy cloth ripping, and spray sounding like a hiss. I wrote this info on the inside of the welder so it can always be used for easy reference. A few days ago my son came over to weld some items. I was working and so only listened to his welding. From the sound I surmised that he was using the short circuit method. After looking at his finished welds it was confirmed that he was indeed using short circuit. So just for that the seminar really paid off. Thanks Ernie! ERS

Reply to
Eric R Snow

I started out on stick welding and even there the sound says everything. With wire feed I tend to run what the machine gives me unless the settings are way off. My foreman can tell by sound as he walks by if I am half a volt off the sweet spot. He has occasionally stopped and said " Here, Try that now Randy." He is deadly at it. Yes each wire has a particular sound depending on what you are intending to do with it. In our case our spray transfer has to have a bit of a crackle to it to get decent fusion at the edges of the bead. The sound does give you a lot of information once you know what to listen for. Randy

Reply to
R. Zimmerman

Yeah we got to try spray in the class I took. Its an awesome way to weld something together but you need real heavy gloves though. With a SP 125 plus you weren't expecting to hear a hiss were you?

Reply to
bitternut

Not only expecting it, but getting it. That's why I wrote the setting info inside the welder. Because I was able to get my machine to do these welds at the seminar. However, the welder cannot weld as long in spray mode as in short circuit. Only welding aluminum has the weld time been too short though. When welding steel for practice I can get the machine to shut off but when doing the jobs I use the machine for there is enough time between welds for the machine to stay cool enough. ERS

Reply to
Eric R Snow