High voltage capacitor needed & questions

Last week Ernie Leimkuhler held a mig welding tutorial at Grant's place ( Thanks again Grant and ernie!). Ernie told me that the high voltage caps in the high frequency circuit go bad and it is hard to find replacements for them. I had noticed that something was dripping on the floor underneath the Miller Goldstar welder. I searched in without success for the source of the drips. Then yesterday I found the source while wiring in an extra relay and receptacle. The relay connects the receptacle to 115 volts which then powers up the water cooler for tig welding. The source is the high voltage capacitors. some kind of oily substance is coming out of them and dripping down the red phenolic mounting board. Ernie was right, these caps are hard to find. In fact, using google tonight to find these caps was fruitless. They are mica capacitors. Can types other than mica be used? And can they be paralleled to increase the value? Is there a better type than mica? And finally, does anybody here have some to sell? Thanks, Eric R Snow

Reply to
Eric R Snow

post pics of the caps and any markings on them.

Reply to
Cydrome Leader

I would expect Miller to have the parts available, at least unless the welder is an antique. It's a big part of why I bought a Miller instead of an off-shore el-cheapo. That being said, in order to find a suitable replacement from other sources, you need to know the characteristics of the capacitor you are trying to replace. And it is more than just the capacitance and voltage. Many types of capacitors don't take kindly to being charged backward and, if you put AC across them, they'll literally explode. Even if they have enough of a DC charge on them that they never see a reverse polarity, if they have a significant effective series resistance (ESR), they'll get hot and blow if there is a substantial AC signal riding on the DC. And this just scratches the surface...

Jerry

Reply to
Jerry Foster

You'll need to know working voltage and capacitance. Then google on "transmitting mica". High voltage mica caps are routinely used in radio transmitters. Yes, they can be paralleled to get the required capacitance. If size, performance and cost are the measures of "better", I doubt if there's a better cap for this app than mica.

Reply to
Don Foreman

high voltage mica caps aren't hard to find, I have a 30,000 VAC mica cap sitting here at this moment - it's about 8 inches X 6 inches X 12 inches, with a 8 inch insulator on top, the case is one terminal, the other is on top of the insulator.

I suspect your TIG welder needs a lower voltage.

Mica has particular dielectric benefits in certain frequency bands - and oil dripping out is not a real problem, jsut remove the cap, refill with oil and seal it again. use mineral oil if you can't find capacitor oil.

" They are mica capacitors. Can types other than mica be

Reply to
william_b_noble

Just make sure it's oil in there, not PCB. What vintage is the machine?

regards,

John

Reply to
john johnson

Oh oh....Now Erics place is a Hazmat site. PCBs...Run Erick Run!!1

Call and ask for Dennis. Tell him Gunner refered you. Id be surprised if he didnt have some good used ones kicking around

Gunner

Gunner Asch

Capacitor oil kinda sounds like skyhooks and file grease. I'm sure it's not. I'll look for it and try to see why the things are leaking. Will oil loss make the capacitance lower? Eric

Reply to
Eric R Snow

The machine was built in the early seventies. Were PCBs used then? I think they were. If they are leaking PCBs then wouldn't the best fix be just re-filling with non PCB oil and sealing them? I could take them to the county as hazmat but then they would have to deal with them. ERS

Reply to
Eric R Snow

Mmmmmmmmmmmm! IMO, nothing beats PCB's spread on a ritz cracker :-)

Reply to
mr electron

Pics and part numbers.

I deal with high voltage capacitors and would love to help, but you need to provide info on the part itself.

Reply to
Cydrome Leader

No. The oil is to prevent flashover within the case, and to cool the mica, which does the heavy lifting. Flashover within a capacitor in a welder may destroy the capacitor, so I'd make sure there is enough oil in the capacitor case.

Joe Gwinn

Reply to
Joseph Gwinn

I thought I'd already posted a message concerning pics in the dropbox. I will be taking pics tomorrow and posting them in the dropbox. In the meantime here's the info on the capacitor: GAMO TYPE MICA CAP Miller Electric P/N 31-602 And from the manual: Capacitor, mica .002 uf 6000 volt The capacitors themselves have places on them for Amps, Volts, MFD, but these spaces are blank. I hope the info above will help. Thanks, eric

Reply to
Eric R Snow

The oil has been leaking for a long time. I thought it was something else. If flashover occurs will it act like a short? And would this prevent any high frequency at all? I ask because the high frequency is weak and always has been. But it is there. The spark gaps work. But every Goldstar machine I've used has been the same. Maybe they all have defective caps. On Lincoln machines you could see purple sparks emanating from the tip of the tungsten and dissipating into the air. But Miller Goldstar machines I've used never would do that. Eric

Reply to
Eric R Snow

I recently sold a 5,000 V, 2 uF capacitor, rectifier and transformer for $32. It was a part of a military radar test set.

Ignoramus8243

Here is a site with hv mica caps. I would use this one: CFT) 224M356 .001 µF (dual) 10 kv 1-1/8" x 1-7/8" 9.00

IF it is a dual cap you can parallel it to get the .002 uf that you need. The cap is rated at 10 kv which is just the voltage rating. A higher rating will work the same.

John

Reply to
john

The physical case sounds really large for such a capacitor, especially a mica one.

Induction heater polypropylene caps might be an acceptable replacement.

Does anybody know what frequenecy these welders operate at, and possible RMS current levels these caps see?

Size alone and that these are mica says you're going to need a AC rated, probably RF duty cap. No bathtub cap or filter cap will work.

Reply to
Cydrome Leader

It the cap does not have "no PCBs" printed on it than it can be assumed to contain PCBs which means you've got a bit of a problem on your hands if it leaked.

Pete C.

Reply to
Pete C.

The following might be of use:

Pete C.

Reply to
Pete C.

You could also assume it's full of gold, but that's wrong too.

Reply to
Cydrome Leader