Eutectic welding?

I've heard of Eutectic welding. I've even seen what looks like an oxy-acetylene torch that takes cartridges full of different sort of powders. I haven't found an simple explanation of what Eutectic welding acually is, though. I'm curious. Would someone please explain what eutectic welding is?

It doesn't seem too common, but maybe it's worthwhile to have this in the ol' 'arsenal o' techniques', for special situations? Is it even worth it to learn how to do this sort of welding, after I get some of the basics down, or has it been made obsolete by some other welding technique?

Reply to
Jeff Polaski