fixing holes/pits in hydraulic tank...weld or braze

I am repairing a hydraulic tank in my old bobcat skidsteer. Problem
is..the tank is part of the frame cross member, so replacing it or for
that matter, cutting it open can not be done, unless I cut other frame
cross members out of the way. I am trying to avoid this...the tank
has a number of deep surface pits in it. One pit was deep enough that
the tank started to leak. There is no pressure in this tank, just ATF
fluid. I welded the pitted area ( but burnt through, as it is very
thin due to the pit, but I managed to weld it up) would brazing be a
better fix? what could I do to prevent other pits from leaking?
Braze over the deep pits now, before they leak? I do not have good
access to weld a new cover on the tank. My plan is to use a really
good gasket sealer and seal a metal plate over the pitted area. At
least I could remove it in the future if I need to make another
weld....any ideas are apprecated. I really would like to hear
opinions on brazing the pits verses welding them....I have no
experiance with brazing.
Thanks
Reply to
Bruce
Since this is just the reservior (no pressure) brazing should be fine, and is certainly less likley to blow through. f the pits are already weeping pinholes, you might have trouble getting the metal clean enough to braze. IN any case, when you get done with the metal repairs, clean it up, hit it with POR-15 or some other from of phosphoric acid, then get it primed and painted, and keep it that way, to prevent the need to do this in the future.
Reply to
Ecnerwal
dunno if i would be so quick to put unsure brazing on a part that may very well need a plate welded over the whole side.
.the tank is part of the frame cross member, so replacing it or for
One pit was deep enough that
. My plan is to use a really
....I have no
Reply to
dogalone
My plan is to use a really> good gasket sealer and seal a metal plate over the pitted area. At
I can help here. I used to be a dealer for Belzona products. These are 2 part polymers mostly used by the Defense department, but also oil and trucking companies. They make 2 products to restore the enterior to better than new. Even if it's not structurally sound. Have used it to repair enterior rusting of railroad cars, and tankers. It's been awhile, and you can check them out on the net, but I've never had one fail with even acidic loads.
Josh
Reply to
Josh