fixing holes/pits in hydraulic tank...weld or braze

I am repairing a hydraulic tank in my old bobcat skidsteer. Problem is..the tank is part of the frame cross member, so replacing it or for that matter, cutting it open can not be done, unless I cut other frame cross members out of the way. I am trying to avoid this...the tank has a number of deep surface pits in it. One pit was deep enough that the tank started to leak. There is no pressure in this tank, just ATF fluid. I welded the pitted area ( but burnt through, as it is very thin due to the pit, but I managed to weld it up) would brazing be a better fix? what could I do to prevent other pits from leaking? Braze over the deep pits now, before they leak? I do not have good access to weld a new cover on the tank. My plan is to use a really good gasket sealer and seal a metal plate over the pitted area. At least I could remove it in the future if I need to make another weld....any ideas are apprecated. I really would like to hear opinions on brazing the pits verses welding them....I have no experiance with brazing.

Thanks

Reply to
Bruce

Since this is just the reservior (no pressure) brazing should be fine, and is certainly less likley to blow through. f the pits are already weeping pinholes, you might have trouble getting the metal clean enough to braze. IN any case, when you get done with the metal repairs, clean it up, hit it with POR-15 or some other from of phosphoric acid, then get it primed and painted, and keep it that way, to prevent the need to do this in the future.

Reply to
Ecnerwal

dunno if i would be so quick to put unsure brazing on a part that may very well need a plate welded over the whole side.

.the tank is part of the frame cross member, so replacing it or for

One pit was deep enough that

. My plan is to use a really

....I have no

Reply to
dogalone

I can help here. I used to be a dealer for Belzona products. These are 2 part polymers mostly used by the Defense department, but also oil and trucking companies. They make 2 products to restore the enterior to better than new. Even if it's not structurally sound. Have used it to repair enterior rusting of railroad cars, and tankers. It's been awhile, and you can check them out on the net, but I've never had one fail with even acidic loads.

Josh

Reply to
Josh