I'm BACCCCCCCKKKKK!!!!!!!!

So after 2 months of confused level 3 technicians at Earthlink, one of them finally had the brilliant idea to just create a brand new account that forwards everything to my old account.

Quite a goofy solution, but it finally allowed me to authenticate on the news server.

I didn't feel like digging through 10,381 unread messages, so I am starting fresh.

Reply to
Ernie Leimkuhler

Ernie Leimkuhler wrote in news:stagesmith1- snipped-for-privacy@news.west.earthlink.net:

H-O-O-R-A-Y !!!!!!!

You have *truly* been sorely missed!

WTH - there's always Google.

W-e-l-c-o-m-e ! You are, indeed, Well Come, Sir!

Reply to
RAM³

Took me forever to get back on. Not that anyone knows me compaired to you Ernie. I moved and had to drop Cox and went to qwest but they do n ot offer newsgroups. I findly found my newsgroups I had before but I know I missed a lot in the past 4 months. I am veiwing everything through GOOGLE. I do remember someone saying that is how they view the groups... I geuss I did learn something...

Time to read on the side again till I have something good to say.

Don D.

Reply to
pegleg

Welcome back, Ernie. There have been many good contributions but I missed yours too. Best, David Todtman

Reply to
David Todtman

Funny thing. One can miss 10,381 messages here, and not miss a stroke.

Same old same old.

Welcome back.

Steve

Reply to
Steve B

Well, harumph, Ernie.

I've been gone too. But nobody noticed! ;o(..

It's not fair. I'm sure I have at least as many questions as you have answers!

Ha ha..

Welcome back.

Ernie Leimkuhler wrote:

Reply to
Vernon

Seconded enthusiasticly!

Reply to
John Husvar

Welcome back Ernie.

Don W.

Reply to
Don W

--Welcome back! Can't wait to hear tales you have to tell!

Reply to
steamer

Welcome back Ernie. I was wondering what happened to you. Good to have he who knows all around again.

Reply to
bitternut

Reply to
Harry

Welcome back Ernie, and Happy belated Birthday ol' Buddy. 9/11 Didn't think anyone remembered, did ya? LOL

Regards, Jim

PS don't know if you saw, but my shop just went threw getting certified.

2G hard wire GTAW, 3 & 4G flux core GTAW. I passed, woopee for me! JR
Reply to
Jim C Roberts

Yep. Calling Ernie a know-it-all is no insult, just a fact. He does know it all -- well most of it anyway.:)

And he probably knows where to find out the rest.

Reply to
John Husvar

Congrats Jim.

We are trying to get the shop finished at the Divers Institute so we can become a AWS Accredited Testing Station. There is currently only one in all of Washington State, Bates Technical in Tacoma. All the other tech schools in WA just do field certs with no school affiliation.

It is part of my plan to run a weekend or evening AWS and WABO cert program at DIT.

Reply to
Ernie Leimkuhler

Not many tales. I have ben spending all my time getting my shop up and running at the Divers Institute. They got the building mostly done a month ago and I have been getting all the toys set up so I can build stuff. At this point I am migrating most of the equipment from my shop to the school's shop. As we get new budget money the school will buy toys and I can bring mine home. Meanwhile they don't care if I use the shop at school to build personal stuff after hours and on weekends. The other nice bit about this is that it is reducing the "parking lot" effect in my basement to the point where I can actually clean the place.

This Saturday I am teaching a wire feed class for the Seattle Metalheads. We are using the shop at DIT.

I taught a Gas Welding/Cutting class there last winter and it was a blast.

When I approached South Seattle with the original idea they just freaked out about liability and classroom rental fees and security surcharges...

When I approached the Divers Institute with the idea they said,,,"Sure, Sounds great, have fun..., and have everybody sign one of these .waivers" "Just cross out where it says SCUBA and write in WELDING"

Have I mentioned that I love my job?

This class has more logistical problems with getting lots of MIG machines hooked up. We have 400 amps of 230v 3 phase at the DIT shop, but very few outlets yet.

So far I have a 12" Coldsaw, and a nice gear head Wilton drill press. I really want an ironworker. Howard at Pacific Industrial Supply offered me an old one for free if I want to get it running, but it is pretty big and would need a LOT of work to bring it back from "monument to rust" status.

I am about to start building a classroom barge for the school. I designed it with some input from our resident certified Engineer.

Steel frames that hold twenty 55 gallon polyethylene barrels each. The frames will be hot dip galvanized and bolted together in 2 rows forming pontoons. The pontoons are linked by steel truss sections. Steel corrugated decking goes over the top of the pontoons, and is cut to the shape we want for the final deck. Edged in steel channel, the deck will be coated with 4 inches of fiber reinforced concrete.

The rough numbers are 77,000 lbs displacement and 52,000 lbs of steel and concrete for a 25,000 lb. payload. All for under $10,000, which beats the price of any barge we could buy by a huge margin.

Our old #6 classroom barge had to be demolished a few months ago due to un-repairable corrosion to the thin steel hull.

If this design works we will use it to expand our whole dock and to replace most of our other barges.

Reply to
Ernie Leimkuhler

And a welcome sight you are! Martin

Martin H. Eastburn @ home at Lions' Lair with our computer lionslair at consolidated dot net NRA LOH & Endowment Member NRA Second Amendment Task Force Charter Founder IHMSA and NRA Metallic Silhouette maker & member

Ernie Leimkuhler wrote:

Reply to
Martin H. Eastburn