Made a first weld with PCTI three phase firing controller (photo)

Here's the picture:

The weld says "Thank you PCTI".

For those who missed my previous posts, I am redoing my welder using a modern three phase firing system by PCTI. My hope is that this controller would allow me to do constant current and constant voltage welding (stick/TIG and MIG), as well as plasma cutting if I rewire my transformer for higher voltage. (this rewiring would be done dynamically by contactors)

Some pictures of the rectifier and controller are here:

Many thanks go to Glen from s.e.d., who gave me great advice throughout.

Ignoramus19822

That's pretty cool.

Reply to
StaticsJason

That is a rectifier? Russian brand?

Nick

Reply to
Nick Müller

Both links go to the same picture. Can I borrow your welder for the weekend BTW? I'd like to ground it to a Commodore 64 motherboard and run the electrode across the PCB, just to see what would happen.

Reply to
a7yvm109gf5d1

How much was the controller ?

Steve

Reply to
Steve

answer will be emailed

Ignoramus10275

Iggie: You are brilliant man. I wish I knew what you are talking about. Sounds like you'll be able to do any kind of welding or cutting process you'll ever need. Is this the Cybertig you bought for $9.99? How much $$ do you have in this little project? Reminds me of the "rock soup" story my grandmother used to tell me, where the main ingredients of the soup were free. A rock and water...all you had to do was add everything in order to make it taste like something. Good job!

-Mike

Reply to
mlcorson

I am definitely not brilliant, I had some good guidance, that's all.

yes

You got me started on this...

It's kind of like rock soup, even though I got the welder for $9.99 and the controller for free. I also have to admit that I bought more things than I needed for this project. I thought I needed them, bought them, and then did not need them. And that is not even considering the value of my time.

All in all, the price of parts that are installed in the welder, right now, is probably about $100-150. Also I bought a plasma torch for $52. Converting the SCR control is not a cheap project, although it could be much much worse. I am sure that more costs will pile up as I need to use time delay relays, etc for TIG control circuit. (I have some TDRs already, and a lot of 50 cent 4pdt relays, etc, but I know that more and more cost will add).

The value of stuff that I spent to get the IGBT inverter (not yet in the welder), is much, much more. I am guessing that I sunk about $500 in that IGBT project, if I count burned up parts and parts that I bought and did not use, etc.

A lot of doodads are even hard to count, like quick connect terminals, wire, etc. I used some stuff that I had, also. Some tools that I bought,such as angle air drill, partially should be costed against the welder project, but will hopefully used for other things later.

As far as the value of time spent, I would be better off buying a very expensive TIG welder, a brand new plasma cutter, etc, and doing some side consulting gigs. But I am somehow very drawn to this welder project and cannot stop.

The approach of a person who only cares about making as much money as possible, in my situation, is to never touch any tools (including welders), hire handymen to do everything, buy only brand new stuff, and work with computers all the time and never go into my garage except to get in and out of my truck. But I cannot do that, life would be too boring.

Ignoramus10275

Good joke :)

Iggy probably meant to refer to the scr's shown in

another of the pictures from
has an edited "Rectifier" label.

-jiw

Reply to
James Waldby

Yes, these are the ones. IIRC, they were made in Italy.

More pictures where the SCRs can be seen better, are here:

Ignoramus1473