metal question

Watching a program tonight about megalodon carcarocles, or mega shark, thought to be extinct, but spotted recently. In the show, they say they made cages out of ALUMINUM welded with STAINLESS STEEL. Called it "marine aluminum", which would simply mean to me an exotic aflloy of Al, possibly with some SS.

Anybody?

Reply to
SteveB

Most "marine aluminum" is likely to be 6061 as it is reasonably corrosion resistant and can be heat treated and that cannot be welded with stainless rod :-) Further, most alloys of aluminum in a marine environment and in association with stainless corrode very rapidly.

Reply to
John B.

I think of marine aluminum as being 50xx aluminum, say 5086.

The " welded with stainless steel " has got to be some reporter confused about what he was told. Aluminum melts at much lower temperature than stainless steel.

Dan

Reply to
dcaster

I would vote for the copy editor being an idiot. Most shark cages are steel or stainless steel.

They could be "marine" aluminum, which would be 5052 or 5086, welded with 5356 or 5556, but there is no Stainless/Aluminum hybrid.

I would not want to be in an aluminum shark cage. The welds aren't ductile enough. One good bite and welds would crack.

Steel would be the toughest as far as ductility. Stainless would be stronger, but much more expensive.

Reply to
Ernie Leimkuhler

I was also watching the program about Zimmerman, the guy who goes to exotic places and eats exotic things. They went to a part of Louisiana I lived in for six years. I nearly got to speaking Cajun French there from marrying into a Cajun family with tons of Cajun French speaking relatives all around.

Two of the cooks were named, Patin, and Hebert.

Patin was pronounced by the announcer as Paten, like Walter Payton. The other was pronounced as Heebert. Like HEE - Bert (sounds like hurt) It is supposed to be pronounced pat-tan, just like the two English words, emphasis on tan, and A-bear. Long A, and bear like brown bear, emphasis on A. It was obvious the announcer was not along on the trip to the bayou cookout. May oui, cha (My, yes, honey), they cooked up alligator and crawfish, and all the things my ex Cajun relatives would. I loved Louisiana.

I get aggravated and amused by mispronunciations by supposedly educated people, and it detracts from the story. Even on national news, but those guys are not known for accuracy anyway.

Also, misspelled professional car door signs, or even billboards. My favorite, in downtown LA, CA, a HUGE store sign 3' x 20' that says, "STATIONARY STORE". Well, it sure doesn't look like it's going anywhere to me, too. And people paid money for the signs, and probably neither the patron or signmaker knew of the mistake. I would take it as an indicator of being a sloppy professional to be driving around with a misspelled logo on my truck.

Just me.

Steve

Reply to
SteveB

The French you learn in school is different from the Canadian, Cajun, and Haitian dialects.

Reply to
Jim Wilkins

A few years back, I had a pickup truck with Louisiana plates on it. The fellow stopped and we had a very short conversation, because I couldn't understand his Cajun words/accent. It was like he spoke a different language! :-) Mikek Mikek

Reply to
amdx

Years ago in the Air force, in Japan, I had a couple of friends that spoke French. One from Maine, spoke Canadian French and the other, from Louisiana spoke Cajon French. They used to argue with each other as to who was speaking the correct French. I used to tell them a story from my home town. During WW II a Free French ship came into Boston and one of the French sailors got permission to visit some distant relatives in my home town. When he got there he discovered that they needed the local Priest to translate his Parisian French to the "local French" :-)

Reply to
John B.

On a motorcycle tour of Canada my buddies and I went into a restaurant in Quebec city, which is -very- defensively French rather than English Canadian. When I spoke up to order the waitress gave a funny look and walked away, then another who had a European French accent came out to serve us.

I wish I knew what they assumed we were. It seems I can pass as any European nationality, even Greek, and don't have an obvious American accent when speaking French or German.

Later after passing into New Brunswick I went into a store wearing leathers and started in French, which brought a haughty response that they spoke English there. They were polite and apologetic when they found out were were USians. jsw

Reply to
Jim Wilkins