MIG Lincoln 750T 1/4inch plate settings?

Lincoln suggests using a flux cored wire 0.045 inch(Insershield NR-211-MP) for 1/4 inch mild steel using a D2 setting(29 volts and 120 in/m feed). They state in their manual that this is close to using stick welding. They state that this gives better penitration than any other set-up with this welder.

Why is this? and why not use a solid 0.045 wire with gas. Why don't they go to the E (34volt) setting? Home Depot doesn't even carry this wire nor the tips.

Thanks Steve

Reply to
stevelischynsky

Because they make more profit from the cored wire (1/2 joke, 1/2 truth). Cored wire will penetrate deeper than solid wire, but it won't bridge gaps well, it is expensive and messy. If you're comfortable with solid wire use it instead. If you need 100% penetration grind a "V" into the plates.

HD isn't going to satisfy your welding needs. Visit the local welding supply store, Linde, airgas, etc. PS - 0.045" tips for cored and solid wires should be the same. 34V for 0.045 is very high.

Reply to
Clandestine

Inner shield (dual-shield, Gas-Shielded Flux-core) is an amazing product. You will get far greater penetration, cleaner welds, less spatter and greater strength. There is a flux layer left over, but it tends to fall off easily.

In my Betamig 250 I am either running 0.035" solid wire for thin wall tube, 0.035" dual-shield wire for 1/8" - 1/4" steel and 0.045" dual shield for structural I-beams.

I would recommend buying a small spool of 0.035" dual-shield to start with and try it out.

You will fall in love with it.

The best brand on the market is ESAB 7100 Ultra. Lincoln calls their's 71M.

Reply to
Ernie Leimkuhler