Tanks vs. light infantry of snow removal

In article

An observation...
I'll be 55 in January, and was born, raised and still live in the W Los Angeles area.
This morning just before dawn I had need to go out... and I'm hereby proud to announce that for the very first time in my entire life, I had need for, and actually would have used a windshield ice scraper, had I had one.
Call me a lightweight or whatever, and I really don't want to be an asshat about it, but I couldn't imagine having to deal with shoveling snow, owning/maintaining/operating (metal containing) snowblowers, icy roads, salt damage and the other associated, often dangerous, nuisances that go with 'real' winter weather.
Erik

You can't shovel a mud slide or an earthquake.
Doug White (who lives near Boston & left work at noon today to avoid the impending blizard)

We have two seasons here... fire & flood.
Unless you live in the sticks, neither is an issue... other than the relentless TV coverage. On occasion, smoke is visible in the distance, and we've had a light ash dusting or two when the winds are right.
Earthquakes... well, I've been through 2 now, and other than cleaning up a little broken glass and patching a crack or two, thats been about it. The TV folks sniff out and sensationalize the absolute worst damage there is and make it generally look like the whole state is level. (Yea yea, I know they have the potential to be ugly, and even keep some emergency supplies around just in case... but worried? Not particularly. YMMV)
Erik

Your newscasters have earthquakes, fire and flood; ours here in New England use the weather to work themselves into a lather. When I see the weather forecast dominating the local news, I wonder how a couple inches of snow, or temps in the single digits, in Maine in January became news.
--
Ned Simmons

wrote on Fri, 19 Dec 2008 08:42:59 -0800 in rec.crafts.metalworking :

    LOL.
    I have read an analysis of "Why Silicon Valley" that basically boiled down to two things: weather and Big Emergencies. Back when "High tech" was Tubes, the "128 Loop" was where all the action was - and that is around Boston. There, the weather is cyclical, there really are four seasons, and you plan and prepare according. The Big Emergencies are winter storms. Also predictable, inevitable and all things taken, pretty limited and survivable.     But in the San Jose/Silicon Valley area, things are different. For one, a sunny day in San Jose is routine. So you don't get the urge to cut class - err, work - to go to the beach or just "get out and enjoy this fine weather." There will be another sunny day. Like to morrow. And the day after, and the day after that and "aaaaggghhhh! how much of this can one person stand!!??!?!?!?! Its driving me MaD!!?!"     But the big emergencies in Silicon Valley are earthquakes. Unpredictable, not limited, and possibly massively not survivable. the computer nerds out west, were "living on the edge" (due to the threat of earthquakes), while simultaneously being task focused "tomorrow will be another sunny day."
    I also remember visiting a friend in Silicon Valley, the week it "froze" and I do mean froze. Coming from Seattle (which had just had 4 inches of snow and freezing temps scramble the city), temps which were all the way down to 30 at night was "no big deal." But my friend had acclimatized, and as a Christmas present, I sprang for dinner and motels rooms to let her thaw out.
pyotr -- pyotr filipivich We will drink no whiskey before its nine. It's eight fifty eight. Close enough!