tempering-color scale

I use to make my own chisels, wrecking bars, screw drivers etc. 20+ years ago. I use to do it via a method of bringing the steel up to a bright red, quinch the end of the carbon steel rod, hex bar etc. in oil/water, then polish end with emery very quickly, and wait till the proper color for hardness needed, met the tip of the cutting tool/punch etc., then quench it in water/oil. It has been so long since the last time I did such, that I can not remember the color temp scale. I have none of my reference books anymore either. That said, does anyone know where I can find this info, a webpage perhaps, or if someone has the text/chart of such, could you post or email it me. I need to make a few "custom" tools. I did a search, but am coming up dry in actually, finding -the full color/hardness temp chart-. I would appreciate any info in these regards.

TIA Kruppt

Reply to
Kruppt

Has the color/temp chart, adn I'd regard it as "full". It does not have the "typical uses" associated with each color, which some charts do.

Reply to
Ecnerwal

Check out a company that makes temperature crayons called TEMPIL...they have an excellent color chart on temperature ranges!

Reply to
Harpman

This one looks decent:

But like the other one mentioned it doesn't tell which temperature you need for a given use.

Here's a page that offers better info without the color charts:

"I'm not grown up enough to be so old!"

Reply to
Keith Marshall