TIG Critique

Hi, I am learning TIG and am looking for some feedback. I've welded some pipe sections together and made some notes of what I think I did wrong. Could someone have a look and tell me if my observationss are correct. Also, can you weld aluminim with a dc only machine? I just get black spots. I tried using a green rod and have argon gas.

Thanks, Raul

Reply to
raul

why is the metal so rusty? you have to start with fresh/clean metal.

Reply to
Kryptoknight

Your beads are not uniform/constant.

There are several places, where you just burned a lake...

d is okay, you need a 6 inch length of good consistency for a passing grade...

xman

Reply to
xmradio

"burned a lake...", That's from holding the torch in one place for too long a time right?

Another question, If I sharpen the tungsten will I get deeper penetration?

Thanks, Raul

Reply to
raul

Tungsten must be sharpened for DC welding on steel...............if not you will experience various problems.

Ken

You will not get deeper penetration by sharpening the tungsten!

Turn up the heat Keep the torch in a straight up/down position... close to the metal with the tip...

To much heat, you burn the tungsten up To little, arc will not be stable.

you will end up with a small ball/your tungsten tip....when you are finished, 6 or 8 inch bead...

you will get it, practice, practice....

xman

Reply to
xmradio

to dc tig alum all you need do is get some heilium

Reply to
chopper

I can use the same setup? Just helium, not argon? Would the flow settings be the same?

Raul

Reply to
raul

yes it the same sharpen your tungston too .try it and see for your self

Reply to
chopper

It is possible to use DC (earth+) to weld aluminuim, but unless you have a very powerful welding set, you are going to be restricted to welding very thin material, as with DC earth positive, most of the heat will be concentrated into the tungsten rather than the workpiece. Helium will help a little, as this will increase the heat of the arc, but it will also increase the heat going into the tungsten, which can cause other problems.

Ken

It is possible to use DC (earth+) to weld aluminuim, but unless you have a very powerful welding set, you are going to be restricted to welding very thin material, as with DC earth positive, most of the heat will be concentrated into the tungsten rather than the workpiece. Helium will help a little, as this will increase the heat of the arc, but it will also increase the heat going into the tungsten, which can cause other problems.

Ken

Dc tig with He is used to do heavy alum if you learn too use your tig you can weld thin to and the set up is straight polarity

Reply to
chopper

It is possible to weld aluminuim using DC + return, but this is only suitable for thin sections as heat is concentrated into the tungsten, and requires a great deal more amps than AC to get any sort of result.

Ken