TIG Critique

Hi, I am learning TIG and am looking for some feedback. I've welded
some pipe sections together and made some notes of what I think I did
wrong. Could someone have a look and tell me if my observationss are
correct. Also, can you weld aluminim with a dc only machine? I just get
black spots. I tried using a green rod and have argon gas.

Thanks, Raul
Reply to
raul
why is the metal so rusty? you have to start with fresh/clean metal.
Reply to
Kryptoknight
Aluminum has been done using Dc but it is very rare, It requires a very large tungsten and higher currents than available torches can handle.
Reply to
MES
Your beads are not uniform/constant.
There are several places, where you just burned a lake...
d is okay, you need a 6 inch length of good consistency for a passing grade...
xman
Reply to
xmradio
"burned a lake...", That's from holding the torch in one place for too long a time right?
Another question, If I sharpen the tungsten will I get deeper penetration?
Thanks, Raul
Reply to
raul
Tungsten must be sharpened for DC welding on steel...............if not you will experience various problems.
Ken
You will not get deeper penetration by sharpening the tungsten!
Turn up the heat Keep the torch in a straight up/down position... close to the metal with the tip...
To much heat, you burn the tungsten up To little, arc will not be stable.
you will end up with a small ball/your tungsten tip....when you are finished, 6 or 8 inch bead...
you will get it, practice, practice....
xman
Reply to
xmradio
to dc tig alum all you need do is get some heilium
Reply to
chopper
I can use the same setup? Just helium, not argon? Would the flow settings be the same?
Raul
Reply to
raul
yes it the same sharpen your tungston too .try it and see for your self
Reply to
chopper
It is possible to use DC (earth+) to weld aluminuim, but unless you have a very powerful welding set, you are going to be restricted to welding very thin material, as with DC earth positive, most of the heat will be concentrated into the tungsten rather than the workpiece. Helium will help a little, as this will increase the heat of the arc, but it will also increase the heat going into the tungsten, which can cause other problems.
Ken
It is possible to use DC (earth+) to weld aluminuim, but unless you have a very powerful welding set, you are going to be restricted to welding very thin material, as with DC earth positive, most of the heat will be concentrated into the tungsten rather than the workpiece. Helium will help a little, as this will increase the heat of the arc, but it will also increase the heat going into the tungsten, which can cause other problems.
Ken
Dc tig with He is used to do heavy alum if you learn too use your tig you can weld thin to and the set up is straight polarity
Reply to
chopper
It is possible to weld aluminuim using DC + return, but this is only suitable for thin sections as heat is concentrated into the tungsten, and requires a great deal more amps than AC to get any sort of result.
Ken