what is the best place to buy used TIG

what is the best place to buy used TIG machines, (in the US)?
has any body got good result from E-BAY? I would be hasitent to buy any welding machine online unless there is
a sure guaranty behind it. or as a fact I did not buy HTP ( from Illinois) because I was told "if" there is a warranty issue and the machine has to go back I would eat shipping cost, for one way.
thanks for the input
I had the same concern when I bought my Invertig 200 from HTP, after speaking with Jeff Nolan I decided it would not be a big deal even though I was in Canada. Jeff told me that if boards went down they would send them by mail. Miller service has not been very fast in the past if boards are not in stock so I was pretty sure that Miller's past service was not going to get better and they had to have the machine delivered to them . HTP will trouble shoot over the phone and send parts. On the inverter machines the boards are all easily replaceable by the owner if required. My 2 cents! Pete

On that crazy, crazy day of Thu, 26 Aug 2004 01:39:42 GMT, "Walt

I just missed an Ebay deal for a 175 linclon tig machine. It sold for $1050. It was listed asone year old, unused in new condition. What a deal that would have been. But the ballpark freight cost from Texas to Oregon was almost $500, not including any cost the seller could have tacked on for putting it on a pallet; So... it would have cost more than the local shop. "There ought to be limits to Freedom" -- George W. Bush, angrily commenting on the "GWBush.com" site parodying his campaign -- (Slater, Dallas Morning News, 5/22/99: http://www.gwbush.com/pressdallasnews.htm ) "Our enemies... never stop thinking about new ways to harm our country and our people, and neither do we." GWBush
Doesn't a brand new one only cost around $1300?

On that crazy, crazy day of Thu, 26 Aug 2004 05:28:24 GMT, "AL"

$1569 from the corner store. I didnt get the bid, which was a relief. "There ought to be limits to Freedom" -- George W. Bush, angrily commenting on the "GWBush.com" site parodying his campaign -- (Slater, Dallas Morning News, 5/22/99: http://www.gwbush.com/pressdallasnews.htm ) "Our enemies... never stop thinking about new ways to harm our country and our people, and neither do we." GWBush
www.weldingsupply.com has it for $1358.
decided it was then ok to say :

his campaign --

http://www.gwbush.com/pressdallasnews.htm )
our people, and neither do we." GWBush
I bought my last TIG machine used from a local welding store. It was in good shape, had accessories, and they threw in a flow meter and found me a copy of the original manual. It was a Hobart TIGwave 250 (very like the Miller Syncrowave 250, except pukey mustard yellow); the previous owner (the local fire dept) got some money to get a new Dynasty, so they traded this one in. The store was open to negotiation on price, so I did ;-) They also gave me a 30 day warrantee, but the machine has been solid since the day I dragged it home three years ago.
geo

I got a great deal I think for a Maxstar 200DX at 1400.00 last year. Had 20 hours on it. Works like a charm. This one still had 2 + years left on warranty.
was it E-bay?

20
Yes, I watched it until it went off auction cuz it didn't sell and offered 1400.00 once it was no longer available and they took it.

get to know your welding supply store guys. We have a few good vendor around here that get used machines in on trade or repair that they sell. You should have at least one place near ya somewhere. If you have any problems with it later, most will service them too. Good luck. walt

around here that get used machines in >on trade or repair that they sell. You should have at >least one place near ya somewhere. If you have any

>Good luck.

Good Point because after you own it and you have problems they will likely be the ones you will want to help you because they are close.
When your pricing welders some of the cost or Value should enclude support. If you buy a used one from a honest dealer he will want your return biz . Not your return complaints.