Softening Brass

Haven't done this for a long time - how do you soften brass? Is it heat and quench or heat and let cool slowly?
I'm trying to repair a very old (27 tpi by 9/64 brass threads!) cabinet lock that has the handle 'sprung' into a shaft.
Many thanks
--
Mart

Either seems to do the trick for me. Quenching adds the risk of distortion of cracking of the piece. Just heat slowly and allow to cool and it should be fine.
HTH
Anthony Remove eight from email to reply
Website:- http://model.engineering.users.btopenworld.com