I got paid to weld today for the first time

During my current job-challenged situation I've been doing some work for a friend, putting up steel buildings. The buildings have tin roofs, and we have found that it's a lot easier to screw the roofs down if you drill holes in the tin sheets beforehand so you know where the screws go. So we stack up the sheets and drill all the holes at the same time.

Well yesterday my friend got his measurements wrong and drilled holes in the wrong spot in 44 sheets. He was really stressed because the last time he did this it cost him $250 for just one replacement sheet. He saw the whole job going down the drain.

So I said, "I've got this mig welder, and I bet I can fill those holes." At that point he was ready to try anything. He came by to pick me up this morning and we loaded up the welder and all my stuff and drove the hour and a half down to Miami. He hammered me out a backing piece from a copper pipe, and I drilled lots of holes in a scrap sheet, and practiced for a while, and said, "Yeah, I can do this." So I spent the day spot welding about 500 holes closed, and then grinding them down. By the end of the day I was getting good enough to where I didn't have to do much grinding. Plus I was fast enough to keep up with the guys putting up the sheets.

Tomorrow I'll go around and fix a few pinholes I missed, and we'll prime and paint the welds. The cool thing is that because (complex reason here) on a different building we are going to have to pull off and reposition a whole bunch of tin sheets, unless there was somehow some way to trim them in place. And I said, "Well, I've got this plasma cutter..."

Dave Wilson

Reply to
Dave Wilson

Don't forget these nice carbide blades you can use on a regular Skil 77.

PRF-18570BW 7-1/4" Dia, .079" Kerf, 70 Teeth, ATB Grind, 5/8" KO Arbor, For cutting 26g to 29g sheet metal and roofing sheet. Excellent life and cutting performance.

PRF-18548BW 7-1/4" Dia, 0.079 Kerf, 48 Teeth, M-TCG Grind, 5/8" Arbor, For standard 7-1/4" saws for metal cutting

Reply to
Zorro

Hell yeah!! That's what its all about.

Reply to
John L. Weatherly

Today we took the plasma cutter down, and I spent the afternoon trimming tin sheets. I got paid to cut stuff with my own plasma cutter! The only bad part was when some bonehead driving a scissor lift knocked over the scaffold the plasma cutter was sitting on. Fortunately the boss had insisted on strapping the cutter to the scaffold, so it was undamaged.

Dave Wilson

Reply to
Dave Wilson

This brings up a serious issue. Were you being paid *extra* to do this? Did you boss agree to pay for any damages to your equipment caused on the worksite? Is he reimbursing you for consumables?

Reply to
Mike Graham

Yes, yes and yes. This is a really honest guy, who upped my rate, agreed ahead of time to be responsible for any damage, and paid for the gas and plasma cutter consumables. It's the first time on a job site that I've used my own tools that were expensive and potentially damages, as opposed to just bringing wrenches and hammers. I need to remember that if I work with someone I don't know as well as this guy.

Dave Wilson

Reply to
Dave Wilson