A Plane to travel with?

Hi all!

I'm a newbie. I just got my wings two months ago, using a Nexstar, and have graduated to my second plane (A "Somethin' Extra" with plenty of expo and rates set to 1/4 of factory recommended so it behaves like a pussycat. I recommend it).

Anyway, my wife and I are going to Hawaii for the winter (retirement is great!) and I'm wondering what to fly.

I don't want to go "glo" as the field equipment necessary is too heavy. I'd rather go electric and carry my Futaba 7CAP transmitter, my Triton charger, and an ARF that is small enough to disassemble and pack in a suitcase. My "big" suitcase has about 24" clear length inside so if the plane had a two piece wing and removeable tail feathers, and a max fuselage length of 24" with the motor removed, it would be great.

One last thing -- it's usually windy in Hawaii so the plane should be a little faster rather than slower.

Any suggestions? Thanks in advance!

Reply to
Bill D

jlach

A quick search of Dex Online revealed a number of hobby shops in the Honolulu area. My advice is to buy locally instead of wasting valuable luggage space trying to haul an airplane that will most likely get damaged during the trip. Having a plane supported by a local retailer who can supply you with spare parts and technical advice could prove important.

There are plenty of good, inexpensive electric ARFs you could assemble quickly with nothing more than a small phillips head screwdriver. Green R/C Models, distributed by Powerline Hobbies, sells the Lucky Boy and the Colour Butterfly. These electric ARFs sell for $69 or $79 locally and include motor, battery, and ESC. Just add a charger, a couple of servos, and a receiver with crystal and you're ready to fly.

You might also consider buying a good electric RTF package and leaving your primary RC equipment at home. It'd be a shame to have your 7CAP get scrambled in your luggage, you might not get it back from repair until it's time to return to the mainland if it were to be mishandled in your luggage.

An Aerobird Xtreme, a Parkzone P51, or a Hobbico Flyzone Ventura are all capable of flying well in a moderate breeze. Sure, they're a step back from your NexStar, but they're inexpensive and still a great deal of fun. The availability of spare propellers, wings, tail assemblies, and even fuselages should be good, too.

Don't underestimate expert local advice. If you won't be anywhere near Honolulu, feel free to search Dex Online for hobby stores in a different city:

XTREME RC PRODUCTS

1123 11TH AVE # 302B HONOLULU, HI 96816 - 2433 (808) 783-4562

WELLER'S HOBBYCRAFT

767 KAILUA RD # 105 KAILUA, HI 96734 - 2842 (808) 262-0211

SANDY FLEMING'S FAST ELE-TRICK

945 KAMEHAMEHA HWY # 13 PEARL CITY, HI 96782 - 2521 (808) 456-7272

PEARL CITY R/C RACEWAY

96-1268 WAIHONA ST PEARL CITY, HI 96782 - 1968 (808) 455-3137

PACIFIC HOBBYIST

2015 S KING ST HONOLULU, HI 96826 - 2220 (808) 942-2851

HOBBY HOLE

2850 PAA ST # 203B HONOLULU, HI 96819 - 4431 (808) 836-1889

HOBBY CO

98-1005 MOANALUA RD # 517 AIEA, HI 96701 - 4774 (808) 487-2473

ALOHA HOBBIES

1151 MAPUNAPUNA ST # A5 HONOLULU, HI 96819 - 4455 (808) 839-6399

ACE RADIO CONTROL PRODUCTS

1005 LEHUA AVE PEARL CITY, HI 96782 - 3334 (808) 456-1279

Just my two cents, but I hope my suggestions prove helpful.

Reply to
Ed Paasch

Thanks fellows:

Jlach -- I looked at the 3D Buddy type. It might be OK if the box it came in was stronger but it's only cardboard and I can't see it going through as checked luggage.

Ed Paasch -- good suggestions all. I'll start by e-mailing the RC club on Maui and ask about local hobby shops. I've also spent some time looking at Parkzone on the net and the P51 might do the trick.

Thanks again,

Bill

Bill D wrote:

Reply to