Christmas Time Help!

I have been tasked with the pleasant job of finding an appropriate starter airplane for my nephew (12 years old) for Christmas. I fly all sorts of gas and electric models but know nothing about the new crop of less expensive RTF electrics out on the market. So I (think I) am looking for a RTF electric park flyer in the $60 or less range. Probably looking at a rudder/throttle-type airplane not only because of my limited price range but I figure it would be easier to fly by himself (we live 3 hours apart). Availabilty of replacement parts, durability and good flight times are a plus. Also, configurations to avoid would be helpful. So if any of y'all have had any success with this type of airplane (or, other suggestions accepted) let me know your thoughts. I'm hoping a successful first time experience will hook him for life (like ME!).

Reply to
propbuster2

It might be a bit difficult to find the whole thing for $60, unless you look at one of the Estes jobs you find at Wally World. Have no idea how these things fly, but I'm guessing they're pretty limited. You might look at one of the foam glider conversions, i.e. the "Wally Wing".

Morris

Reply to
Morris Lee

Propbuster,

Though the price is a little higher than your specified range, you might give thought to the Dragonfly, distributed by Cermark.

Link:

">
I have not purchased this plane myself, but it is one I am eager to buy. It received a favorable review in the November 2004 issue of RC Modeler and I have had very pleasant experiences dealing with Cermark.

--Richard

Reply to
RJM3

Although this isn't a rudder controlled plane, you might want to give this a try for a first timer:

When I first started I flew this thing into a bunch of things ( palm tree,chain link fence,eucalyptus tree,brick wall ) and it survived with minor damage because it's so lightweight. It's enough to get the hang of RC flight in respect to winds and getting used to directional controls.

The best feature: 49.99 dollar investment. If you return the registration card they give you a free replacement wing.

Hope this helps, Edze

Reply to
Edze