Cowling question - enclosing carb to protect from debris and dew

I have a Great Planes Super Sportster 40 MKII that runs in rough fields. The carb often sucks in wet grass, dirt and bug parts. I have tried to use a filter, but it doesnt fit well and gets clogged enough to affect the engine.

I built a box to enclose the carb which extends 3/4 to the top of the cylinder head and fits flush against the back of the prop. It looks like the front end of a delivery truck is glued to top of the cowling.

Because it is so bulky and blocks a good chunk of the prop wash, I wonder if this will be stable to fly, and I wonder if it will rob too much power from the plane.

Does anyone have a guess how this will work for me?

Has anyone found a way to attach a 'snorkel' to the carb to avoid trash and dew drops from being sucked in?

Thanks,

Mark Carter

Reply to
Mark Carter

this will be stable to fly, and I wonder if it will rob too much power from the plane.

Flare it in like the old Chevy cowl induction hoods on the '70 Chevelles. It shouldn't make much difference in performance.

Has anyone found a way to attach a 'snorkel' to the carb to avoid trash and dew drops from being sucked in?

I wouldn't. Any "tube" will create its own resistance and may not allow enough air to be sucked in by the carb.

You're right about the filter. Our little engines are marginal on fuel and air draw, and any blockage will make a difference. Dr.1 Driver "There's a Hun in the sun!"

Reply to
Dr1Driver

Why not use a rubber-band to secure a piece of an old nylon panty hose or other similar fabric over the opening

Reply to
Oper8 On U