Guess I won't be using R/C Universe anymore.

Wants personnel info before it will configure. Slow, no one click to see response to prior threads. Still won't allow discussions on modeling outside R/C, full scale aircraft, etc. Censor's threads such as this one.

Any other boards besides Flightline, which has very little activity? Also little activity on usenet.

Reply to
Sport_Pilot

RCGROUPS.com more users last night than RCU and looks very similar to the old RCU .Free classifieds too Good Luck Paul

Reply to
uriah heep

The personal information consists of your name, city and state. Is that unreasonable? I did like the old format better. They appear to shot themselves in the foot.

Jim - AMA 501383

Sport_Pilot wrote:

Reply to
James D Jones

I'll second that:

is the new way to go. I thought the "new" RCU was supposed to be faster but that just shows how big a sucker I am to believe the hype.

MJC

Reply to
MJC

Well, it may be true but I know lots and lots of folks with holes in their feet. However, they have fixed the firewall problem many were having a problem with. I think the rest of the stuff is just opinion, and that varies from person to person and a great many of us do not like change.

Hang in there, they are working on it.

-- Jim Branaum AMA 1428

Six_O'clock_High Target snipped-for-privacy@Guns.com

Reply to
Six_O'Clock_High

Since I am not very computer literate when it comes to the inner workings and setting up systems, I am concerned that I have to turn off most of my Norton Internet Security, Firewall and stuff to be able to post on the new RCU. On the old RCU, the Internet Security blocked a number of "Trojan Horses" when on that web. Before IS was added to the regular system, someone did use my computer to stuff other mailboxes. Got that all cleared up and there isn't any web worth that hassle. I really did like the old RCU. Great information on everything, especially the AMA discussions. Yet, I don't use the auctions and I don't do purchases from the internet. Therefore, Bye RCU.

HC

Reply to
CainHD

Like what? Most of the information is OPTIONAL. All they require is FIRST NAME, LAST NAME, CITY and STATE, no more than the old RCU ever asked for.

Woah, what a violation of your privacy! Alert the authorities.

The site is not at 100% yet. There are issues that only revealed themselves AFTER they went live. No amount of testing is going to tell you how a site will react to regular use. Missing/requested features will be added as the major problems are worked out. HAVE SOME PATIENCE!

It's a bleakin' R/C site. What do you want?

Only because most of them are based on MISINFORMATION, and are there just to antagonize. People are bitching just to see themselves bitch, and Marc's crew doesn't have time to deal with it right now.

Next time you complain about free speech on the Internet, remember that the Internet consists primarily of privately-owned servers. It's a world of small benevolent dictatorships, not deomcracies. The US Constitution has no authority. The owner of a website can censor has he/she sees fit. Marc sees fit to censor those who are just rabble-rousing for no good reason for now. After seeing a lot of this abusive SHIT going on, I don't blame him.

Reply to
Mathew Kirsch

Quote:- Marc sees fit to censor those who are just

Abusive, we don't like it and that is what we say but you are the one with the capitals and the bad language. We are making our point sensibly and if we are the members who he so sorely needs then he should listen. If you consider any kind of disagreement as abuse then ,,,, oh you are beyond hope, you wouldn't understand. By the way find a little more about the history of this stuff before you preach.

Reply to
uriah heep

When you have people in this hobby, on this very news group who will use that information to conduct slander and hate campaigns against those they disagree with...........

You be the judge!

Reply to
Fly Higher

Kevin,

Most of us here did judge the situation. Many here did not agree with each other. This is so old, so worn out.... most don't even bother with the subject any longer, yet there is one, who will bring it up, time in and time out. I wonder when this will finally slip from your mind also?

Robert

Fly Higher wrote:

Reply to
RBarkus

Bob,

Don't hold your breath waiting for Kevie to stop beating a dead horse. He excels at it.

Regards,

Reply to
Herb Winston

Mathew Kirsch, Aren't you a moderator on RCU? SHOUTING,SWEARING? Is this the way you moderate on RCU?

You must be an asset to the RCU community.

Reply to
mpj220

Then how about some more facts Robert. Ten million adults discovered in

2002 that they were victums of identity theft. These are the ones who found out! That's some 4.6 percent of the adult population. IOW, roughly one in five on this NG could be a victim this year.

Human slime is everywhere Robert. It comes from all walks of life. One has already sided with you!

Reply to
Fly Higher

Nope, just using terms the RCU bashers would understand. Taking the moral high ground in this argument obviously isn't getting the message across.

How come it's okay for the bashers to spew malice and vitriol, spread misinformation and lies, and fabricate gross exaggerations, but I can't get passionate in my defense of the truth, and what I think is right?

...and these guys were??? If they were assets to the RCU community, they'd be making constructive suggestions, other than "go back to the way it was," about how to make RCU better. Instead, we have this, a full-fledged hate campaign.

I'm sorry, I'm fed up with the crap, and I felt the need to speak out against it. This is it for me, though. No more arguing with the anti-RCU crowd.

Reply to
Mathew Kirsch

I am sorry, I must have missed this this in the pevious posts within this thread. I will review it again..... nope, this was your first post in the thread.

Again, I must have missed this as well.....nope, the first poster was concerned of personal information, slow speed and censored threads. It did not seem to be bashing or fabricating anything.

I don't think it is a hate campaign. It appears that if anyone does post their suggestions at RCU and it doesn't follow what admin and mods want to hear, they are deleted. How constructive is that? Seems more destructive to me. Besides, if a user does suggest to "go back to the way it was", is that not a valid suggestion? I had suggested an option to "unregister" from the site back in July. It seems that if that were an option, a user could easily satisfy themselves by removing their information from the site. By keeping everyone as a lifetime member is simply padding the numbers.

I have read this thread again and it seems that you were the first to contribute by shouting and using profanity. Is this standard practice? I hope that there are no young people here to see the use of profanity to get one's point across. Unlike the RCU, it cannot be edited out.

Thank you! We could use less shouting and use of profanity.

Reply to
mpj220

Geeezz, It seems that many of us are having some trouble with RCU at the moment. However, give Marc, Matt and others a little time to get the site up and running properly again.

I think it is important to remember, the RCU site has been very helpful to me and many other modelers in providing very inportant information on so much and the ability to sell some RC gear here and there. There is no site that I have seen that ever compared to the service provided by RCU. I take off my hat to all involved.

RCU is a business that is owned by folks that I believe want to do the right thing. They don't want any of us to be mad at them. We need to give them a little time to work out the bugs, give positive feedback on what we like, tell Marc and others what we think could be improved for us in the future. RCU will listen, they have before.

Everyone in our RC community should take a breath and chill out. Things will work out for us and the wealth of services that have been provided by RCU will continue.

Thanks for all the good work Marc and the RCU group.

Tim Adams

Reply to
AdamsGroup

All the good things you describe about RCU are now in the PAST! The "RCU" we knew is no more. Even the dumbest cowboy knows that when your horse dies, you have to get off and find another means of transportation. My trusty ol' horse, RCU, has died so I'm gettin' on the next good lookin' horse that will get me to where I want to go which, to me, is

and that's where you'll find me from now on.

MJC

Reply to
MJC

Since you want to carry on an intelligent conversation, I will make an exception for you, simply to clarify my points and explain what you missed.

But this wasn't the first thread. This is but one of many that have the same tone and same complaints, "I hate it, it's different, it's slow, it wants my personal information."

You have to realize that people knee-jerk when they hear "personal information." To them, it implies that RCU wants your address, phone number, social security number, height, weight, age, body fat percentage, inseam, shoe size, and credit card number, or they won't let you in. That was my reaction when I read his post, and I was so concerned that I went back and went through the signup procedure just to make sure. The truth is, they only require the most basic of information, and they don't even confirm it.

Posts that violated RCU's long-standing and unchanged rules and policies were deleted, per long-standing and unchanged RCU policy. They were not "censored" because they said something negative about RCU. The uproar over the new site caused people to forget about the rules they agreed to when they signed up.

He said the site was slow. It's not always going to be slow, but people are going to read his comments and "logically" conclude that the site's slow, period, even after it's fixed. Heck, it's already getting faster!

I used one 4-letter word, and I capitalized a few words for emphasis. Hardly worthy of the berating I've received... Besides, if you think the children reading this have never seen or heard the word before, you're kidding yourself.

Reply to
Mathew Kirsch

MJC,

Even the Dumbest Cowboy--really, is that the way you talk to people? Get a grip on yourself.

I didn't see any horse die, and I didn't see it turn into a cow, it just slowed down for a bit to catch its breath (maybe stumbled) and now is moving forward again. Give it a little time and see what happens.

If a your ARF doesn't fly right the first time, do you sell it and get a new one? Or do you invest a little time in it and figure out how to make it fly right?

Tim

Reply to
AdamsGroup

I'm from Texas so I ain't insultin' anybody. That's jist how we tawk.

MJC

Reply to
MJC