RCGOUPS.com to take over from RCU as leader in rc web forums FREE CLASSIFIEDS

Old RCU was designed the same as rcgroups and now we can go to rcgroups instaed to post for free without all the auction garbage. Last night rcgroups had more useres than rcu. They will take suggestions to make it more like home for us too. Sorry marc but when you would not even listen to criticism and closed the posts of unhappy users you hurt rcu more than you could know.

Reply to
uriah heep

There is also

among others.

-- Eric Kler Fubar Hill -

____

Reply to
Eric Kler

sorry cant spell RCGROUPS.com

Reply to
uriah heep

The three other mentioned below aren't really players if you look at how their message threads turn over. RCgroups.com is it now. I thought I'd sort of be OK with the new RCU but it's really crap. What made my final decision is the full page add per page views that you can't opt out of unless you pay to subscribe (yes, I know that you can set it up to 100 views per ad but that's still bullshit). RCU; I'm gone. rcgroups; I'm there.

MJC

Reply to
MJC

I foreseee RCUniverse failing. They sell a tremendous amount of advertising which was understandable because of the number of modelers visiting the site. Now, however, they are going to charge us for the priviledge PLUS raking in the $$$ from the advertisers. When the advertisers see the modelers leaving RCU like rats leaving a sinking ship, the advertisers will bail also.

Way to go guys, you have just screwed up a wonderful web site that you HAD to be making money on. Your greed will do you in. I'm gone from there after seeing all of my listings disappear from the new site.

Reply to
jeboba

I'm with you. RCU is history for me. I will go to RCGroups. If everyone switches, RCGroups will be dynamite in no time. It's amazing what a little greed will do. I have no problem with people making a profit. It's the American way. But I'm afraid greed and ego took over at RCU. The modelers are the only reason they sold the advertising they did. When the modelers leave, the advertisers will leave. Then their little subscription and listing fees will sink 'em!

Reply to
jeboba

What and RCU started out with a 1000 posts a day?

whatever, just thought some folks would like to know

-- Eric Kler Fubar Hill -

____

Reply to
Eric Kler

Dynamite as in it will blow up. I'm sorry, but if this mass exodus you're proclaiming happens, Jim Bourke's servers won't be able to handle it. Then, we'll see you cry, "RCGroups.com is crap! It's slow! It's hard to use! WAAAH WAAH WAAH!" He can only charge the advertisers so much before they pull their ads, and once the server and bandwidth costs exceed the advertising revenue, guess what... Big RCGroups.com redesign and it becomes a PAY SITE! I know Jim has said he would never ever ever become a pay site, but if push comes to shove and he has but two choices, shut down or charge fees for certain services, I'm betting he ain't gonna shut down if he can help it.

You want to talk about greed? Take a look in the mirror. Greed is wanting valuable services for free when they cost the provider a considerable amount of money. Marc has done what he can to keep the most valuable parts of RCU, the forums, FREE to you. The least you can do is click through an ad every hundred thread views. And if Marc can make a comfortable living off a few seconds of my free time, bully for him! For all the HARD WORK he's put into the site, he deserves it!

Reply to
Mathew Kirsch

If Jim Bourke pays attention and truly understands what's happening, and why rcgroups.com will be getting real popular real fast, I would guess that (unless he's an idiot), he will not make the same mistakes that RCU made that will put them out of business. In business, some of my best decisions for my own company were made by paying attention to the mistakes of my competitors.

MJC

Reply to
MJC

What do you think Marc (RCU) did, he kept up with user growth due to increasing advertising revenue which he got due to higher user throughput using that to increase server space and bandwidth. All web businesses do that. Marc(RCU) did not have to go pay site to maintain throughput, he was already stable. The change was due to the business ideals from rcairport who spent so much advertising and marketing cash buying out other sites etc in hopes of catching the internet using rc enthusiasts cash cow. RCAIRPORT no matter how much was spent just could not get a market share worth mentioning so he bought it once again, he could never buy it outright ( I am sure it was tried) but he did make a Faustian offer to RCU and here we see the result. The same design cues are obvious throughout the new RCU. You are an foolish young man falling back on your petty jibes. So is Marc as he still does not realise how the exponential growth of his site will be curtailed at least for a while and the profits are not all his anymore. This is all pointless as the basic problem with the new site is not about speed etc. it is not about yearly fees which I always was willing to pay, it is about the type of site it has become. I do not like it, there are many reasons and perhaps they are not empirical but there you go. The loss of the friendly classifieds is one of the worst. You could see sales go on and offers refused and get the feel as if you were there, it was like a swap meet. We watched the sales and the prices in a simple manner. That is gone but is available at RCGROUPS.com. I am telling people about it as I would like to have the same service available to all again and it is not going to happen. One other thing just for your most extensive knowlege of web systems and bandwidth. RCGROUPS.COM has had at least 10% higher user count all week since the change and that includes combined rcairport and rcu users. No crying, no loss of speed. What do you say to that. Check the figures then get back to me. I never mentioned greed either, before or now. I never asked for more from RCU than they always offered so just because people want it to stay the same is not greed, cheap maybe but not greedy. I am still happy to pay for RCU but only if it is still the same RCU. The worst change in RCU has been the gestapo like tactics putting down dissention, deleting all posts and some other things that I have heard that till I verify will astound even you. The attitude and tactics are despicable. The best thing that happened for RCU though was the bugs and system failures as it took peoples minds away from the real problem, the actual new idea. Now you run around shouting how everything is fixed but technical faults were never a problem to me, they will never fix the real problem, make the site a user based one. Zero user friendliness.

Reply to
uriah heep

We just upgraded our servers. We are running 800+ users concurrently throughout the day. We can handle a few multiples of that easily.

In case you aren't familiar with us, we've been operating since 1996. We have over 20,000 members and over 1.2 million posts right now. We aren't going to buckle under if we have more users.

I think our 7+ year history speaks for itself in that regard. If we were going to charge we would have done it by now!

Jim

-- jbourke

Owner/Manager of RCGroups.com

General manager of Knife Edge Software, makers of RealFlight

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Posted from the RCGroups.com Discussion Forums. Visit us at

jbourke

Hi Jim,

FWIW I am new to my hobby (parkflyers & electric sailplanes) and registered on both RCU and RCgroups. I have found RCgroups to be far superior!

Having put together a few of these high-volume sites myself, I would say you are on the right track. Best of luck! I will continue to read and post here.

BTW - uriah heep! great handle. was thinking of blind eye myself!

-- busybee - Señor Member

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Posted from the RCGroups.com Discussion Forums. Visit us at

busybee

and

Randy Brown Team Airtronics Maac 45752 IMAC 1814

Randy Brown