Polyswitch

Has anyone ever installed a polyswitch in a Futaba Skysport? If so...instructions?...photos?...?

Reply to
Scott Klinger

It is trivial. Solder the polyswitch across the internal fuse that is already soldered to the circuit board. The only caution is to leave the leads long enough so that the polyswitch can be bent far enough out of the way to still allow the TX case halves to close. The polyswitch can be ordered from Digi-Key using P/N RXE110-ND. Wish i took a few photos during the process, but it didn't seem necessary. you should have no trouble if you can handle a soldering iron. If this stuff really scares you, I'd be happy to install it for you (done about 10 in my club) if you want to send it to me.....

Good Luck,

John

Scott Kl> Has anyone ever installed a polyswitch in a Futaba Skysport?

Reply to
John Morley

What is a polyswitch?

Reply to
jeboba

Me too. Did a google search.

Raychem Circuit Protection PolySwitch devices are commonly called resettable devices to distinguish them from traditional one-shot fuses that work only once and then must be replaced - an expensive and inconvenient proposition. While the generic term for these devices is sometimes called "resettable fuses", technically these are not fuses but actually non-linear thermistors. PolySwitch devices are the world's leading PPTC (polymeric positive temperature coefficient) devices for circuit protection in a broad variety of electronic equipment applications.

Reply to
JR

Hi John

I don't know what exactly a polyswitch does, but if it is in parallel with a fuse (the fuse has a VERY low resistance) I cannot see how it can offer any protection - I should think any current flow large enough to kill the fuse would easily fry the chips.

David

John Morley wrote:

Reply to
David

David,

Sorry, I misspoke, the polyswitch is soldered in parallel with a DIODE on the Tx PCB, not a FUSE. Sorry for the confusion!!

John

David wrote:

fuse (the fuse has

think any current

Reply to
John Morley

John, I have the Futuba 6EXA, not sure if this is similar in layout to othe Futuba's or not. But it appears that the diode is in the negative line to the battery (was expecting to find it in the positive I guess). It is an SMT device with 1429 stamped on it. Does this sound like the beast. If so it seems simple enough to replace it, if only I could find a polyswitch up here in the great white north.

Barry

Reply to
Crash and Burn